The Saga Of The 100th Hundred

The Saga Of The 100th Hundred

January 09, 2012

As the Indian Team continues it's bad run down under, we are still fixated on the 100th ton.

Indians love cricket and Indian cricket loves Sachin and his quest for the 100th ton. And as I write this post, he walks back to the pavilion with a score of 41. It has been almost an year since we began reading about it in various papers. Before every match there was speculations on whether this would be the “One”. I am sorry, not speculation but every match was supposed to be the “One” where the “God of Indian Cricket” was to conquer the ultimate hurdle and cement his place as the supreme deity forever. SCG was his ground and most papers had already begun to call it, the Sachin Cricket Ground.

It has been a case of a complete media hype. Since, the World Cup triumph, our cricketing fortunes have gone down faster than the sketch of a rectangular hyperbola in the first quadrant. And to top it all, in a nation crazy about Cricket, other sports and sport-stars are given step-motherly treatment. Is a Cricketing landmark so important that it should eclipse every thing else in the sports pages for such a long time?

Moreover, we are trying to hide the fact that we are performing poorly in the sport, based on a hope that one of it's icons is going to create a record. And even if he does, then at what cost? When what we need is the battle training of the younger recruits, we are sticking to an old war horse. If the 2011 World Cup win was enough to satisfy our hunger, then I am sorry to say, we can kiss our dreams of becoming a Cricketing superpower good-bye.

Hero worshipping is not a bad thing. We all have heroes we look up to, but sometimes when the adulation for a hero breaches the borders of fanaticism, it becomes ugly. Over arching expectations of admirers cannot but affect the mind of any player and causes unnecessary tension.

When Glenn McGrath said that India would lose 4-0, social networking sites were filled with die hard supporters, attacking him and his remarks. But, besides being a supporter, one should also see that there seems to be some truth to his statement. As a supporter of my country, nothing would please me more than watching my National Team establish it's dominance, but that looks rather bleak whilst our mind is obsessed elsewhere. A wait that takes such a long time and at the cost of so many matches, is not worth it in my personal opinion. And Sachin has taken a hell lot of time, to try and reach his goal.

Now, I am not a Sachin hater but am not a big fan either (personally, I will always place the batting talents of Rahul Dravid a notch higher), but this hoopla over a century is beginning to irk. Why are we acting as if the 100th hundred is our god-damn right and that the other teams are standing on it. No, my dear Sachin fanatics, the other teams are not going to hand it to him on a silver platter, so stop acting like they should. And if not, then as someone had pointed out on twitter “lets have a match on a flat track against a minnow team and get it done with”. Maybe then we would be able to focus on more important stuff, like regaining the top position in the ICC Test Rankings.

Photo credit: susanta.com

• Snow Leopard
    Snow Leopard
    16.02.12 09:39 AM
    @Chinmay: :)
  • Snow Leopard
    Snow Leopard
    16.02.12 09:39 AM
    @Vetrimagal: Angels rush in where others fear to tread
    @Samadrita: We will be making temples next for our idols. Oh, wait, we already have.
    @Shirish: Am I making a hue and cry? Wait, let me re-read my post. Nope, I don't think so. And no I am not belittling Sachin's achievements, but I do not wish to dwell in the glories of the past either. With this Logic Winston Churchill should have been made UK's Prime Minister till eternity.
  • Snow Leopard
    Snow Leopard
    16.02.12 09:28 AM
    @Purba: We have an expert opinion on everything.
    @Deepak: Precisely. It seems media has no other story
    @Harry: Thanks for the welcome. :) Well, Miss Pandey promised buff but was just a cheap bluff.
  • Chinmay
    Chinmay
    18.01.12 12:20 PM
    Good one!
  • shirish patwa
    shirish patwa
    11.01.12 02:21 PM
    Well, when you criticize media for creating a hype and try to belittle Sachin's achievements,you yourself is doing the same.Leave alone Sachin and his hundredth hundred.If it has to happen today or tomorrow ,it will happen.why are you making such a hue and cry?
  • Samadrita
    Samadrita
    10.01.12 11:55 AM
    Too much hype and hoopla surrounding the 100th ton. Completely agree with all that you've written, this fanatical hero-worshipping obsession needs to go or we're doomed.
  • Vetrimagal
    Vetrimagal
    10.01.12 12:09 AM
    You have said what many journalists are feeling shy to say. Thanks.
    09.01.12 11:20 PM
    I don't even like cricket, and I became instant fan of cricket, when one miss Poonam Pandey announced that she will strip naked. :) :) :) :) :)

Don't you just hate it when cricketers and people associated with the sport don't stick to their promises. What the hell is that all about. :) :) :)

PS Wellcome to NRI dude.
  • Deepak
    Deepak
    09.01.12 12:11 PM
    Well said.. good article..
    I think, we are speaking too much about 100th 100, let him do his hob !
    Media crap have given enough HYPE !
  • Purba
    Purba
    09.01.12 10:27 AM
    Oh I couldn't agree more. Perfectly grown up men behaving like kids waiting for their candy. And I am tired of reading so many expert opinions!
  • Snow Leopard
    Snow Leopard
    09.01.12 09:52 AM
    Just recently. This is my debut piece, Jayanth. Thanks for the welcome :)
  • Jayanth Tadinada
    Jayanth Tadinada
    09.01.12 06:36 AM
    When did you start writing here? Welcome to the club :)