I’ve started spending more and more time at the M. Chinnaswamy Cricket Stadium here in Bangalore. As media spokesperson for the upcoming KPL (Karnataka Premier League) season I am now starting to go to the stadium more frequently for meetings with the KSCA (Karnataka State Cricket Association). And as the head of marketing for one of the KPL teams, the Bijapur Bulls, I hit the stadium clubhouse periodically to meet with potential sponsors and partners. The stadium is fantastic and I love watching the practice sessions. Running around the stands sort of freaks the players out and distracts them a bit ‘cuz they aren’t used to seeing a white girl running around the empty stadium, which I find quite fun!
For me, I wasn’t exposed to cricket back in California when I was a kid so until I moved to Europe 18 years ago I was completely unfamiliar with the sport. And in Spain we saw a lot more futbol but here in India it is impossible not to be entranced and 100% sucked into cricket. It’s the national pastime.
And for whatever reason, or for a bunch of reasons, women find cricket players extremely attractive, if not more attractive than other guys. Well, at least my girlfriends do! Maybe it's sportsmen in general we find attractive but I have a few ideas about why we women adore cricketers. Now surely my list will fall short of all the reasons why, so please feel free to comment after and round out my list. Here are a few of my reasons:
- Confidence: it certainly takes – excuse me for this – balls to get out there in front of thousands or millions of people and do ANYTHING, especially something that is “live” and you don’t get any do-overs when you screw up. I mean, when I am writing I can delete and you never know about my goof-ups. But not cricket players. They stand tall, walk proud and WORK IT every time they play. And that is certainly attractive.
- Sex appeal: I think probably the confidence and sex appeal could be considered one thing in my book but these guys look cool in their sunglasses and tracky bottoms running around the field. They generally have great attitudes and smiles and that is hot.
- Fame: I know none of us want to admit it but there is definitely something fun about being able to see action photos in a magazine or newspaper of your favourite cricketer – or watch them on TV. That “star power” is something that is universal anywhere around the world and most people are drawn into the glow, whether we want to admit it or not. The more famous someone is, the more they become like a brand – and we all have our favourite brands!
- Fit body: Of course this is on the list! In the U.S., our sports heroes don’t always have to be fit given what sport or possibly what position they play, for example football line backers. But here, the cricketers all seem to be in shape and have the most amazing arms. And if they would just get a bit more excited like the Spanish footballers and take their shirts off after a great play – I bet they have amazing abs under their uniforms too!
- Talent: They are the best of the best so that makes them power guys. At least to me, power is sexy when it’s used for good and not evil.
- Uniform: I love a man in a uniform! I suppose that was how the musical group the Village People originally became so popular back in the 70s!! Military, Star Wars Rebel Alliance, pilots, super heroes, policemen…it doesn’t matter. Hell, I even dated an actor who played a cop and THAT was sexy to me even though I knew he was just playing dress up! Uniforms rock, and cricket uniforms are just slightly baggy where they should be and snug where it counts. They certainly beat the very unattractive basketball uniforms (sorry, guys!).
Now don’t get me wrong, there is much more to a man than how he looks and what he does for a living. Just like there is an ocean of complexity and spirit behind every woman’s eyes. I am certainly not suggesting that all male cricketers are great guys, amazing husbands or perfect friends. But… I am looking forward to getting to know a few of them better soon when KPL starts up. So I will have to check back to confirm if what is on the inside is as delightful as the packaging!