Migrants Make Germany Dumb

Migrants Make Germany Dumb

October 02, 2010

How can Germany tackle it's rapidly changing demographics?

"Migrants make Germany dumb", or so says German central banker Thilo Sarrazin who has hit the headlines for his incendiary comments about the immigrant (read muslim) community in Germany. He has given voice to the thoughts and feelings shared by a large number of Germans, though not many had the courage to admit their own concerns on this emotive issue.

In the year that I have lived in Germany, I have found caucasian Germans to be a very warm, welcoming and helpful race. And I have had the opportunity to interact with a fair share of them, including my landlady. She has witnessed 67 German winters and drives down every month in her 25 year old Mercedes from the beautiful village of Saulheim on the outskirts of Mainz for a spot of shopping and to hand over our rent receipt. Like most Germans she is pleased to see my progress in learning the German language. She is always keen to converse in German with me and assess my grasp of her mother tongue. Germans are fiercely protective of their language and culture and expect all foreigners to at least make an attempt to adopt them if they are living in Germany. After giving me her approval, she often laments about the Turks and other muslim immigrants, who in her opinion have plagued her country. Now, I have always found her to be grounded and humane. Yet her rants against immigrants are just a reflection of the disgruntlement the older generation have for the muslim community.

However, owing to the unimaginable acts of horror perpetrated by their forefathers against the Jews and other minorities, Germans have little courage to speak out against the changing demographics of their society. The current generation is trying hard to compensate for the injustice that the Third Reich meted out to minorities by taking a very lenient stance towards mass immigration. Today, when one looks around one might see more immigrants than the indigenous Germans. The high birth rate amongst the immigrants coupled with the low number of births in German households translates to an ever increasing strain on the German social system. Most immigrants live off the state and contribute very little to their host country. The state pays social benefits including free health care to immigrants. It also pays them a generous amount of money per child for their food, clothing and shelter. A immigrant household of two parents and five kids paw off enough money from the state to not only be able to lead a comfortable lifestyle but send some dole back to their relatives in their native country.

After WWII, Germany upheld the humane values of it's continent. Europe has always given shelter to the down-trodden and the persecuted. But perhaps the time has come for Germany to forgive itself and take measures to protect and maintain it's identity. While immigrants should always be welcomed, what will prove beneficial will be a point based system for immigrants based on education, background and lifestyle. As a country, it will have to balance the number of skilled and unskilled labour it brings within its to maintain its superiority in the field of engineering, scientific research and social development.

Sehr geehrter Deutschland - Viel Glück ( Dear Germany - Good Luck)

04.09.12 07:40 PM
    @Suneeta Verma,

I have made Germany my permanent home very long ago. I have my own house. We have our own successful design and advertising agency for around 20 years. Most of our customers are Germans, British, and Americans. We enjoy a good life that we can only dream of in India or any other country if I were to start all over again.

I have not had all that bad experience you have had. When I first came over I did notice what you say happens but I just learned to live with what can not be changed and move on.

For that matter where does not racism exist or other discriminations against a different faith, religion or skin color on this earth today? I am really happy with my skin color and many Germans say they would really like to have the same but I could not help them get it.

For good or bad I have made my choices and there is no way I would change them based on someone else’ bad experiences. However, I am sorry to hear that you have had it not so good in Germany. I believe you.
  • Suneeta Verma
    Suneeta Verma
    04.09.12 09:38 AM
    @Rajpriya

I don't know how old you are so I don't know whether you grew up here and had your education here or not.
    If not I must tell you this also for the sake of your kids/grand kids:
    Even being completely german, speaking perfect german, having german mentality and everything but with your skin color marking you as a visible minority (along with your name) you will realize for germans it's about your race at the end, not how well you have adapted! You will always be treated differently and unfairly to the extent you will either become used to be treated unfairly and not realizing it anymore or you go crazy! School, Studying, Job, it will always remain like this. Of course it's often not so obvious and you realize you were discriminated when it's too late but sometimes they are openly, branzenly racist and kick you in the head publicly without shame and you cannot even do anything against it because the people in charge are also racist (school teacher, police, boss!!!). For example I was beaten in school by class mates while teachers watching. Vice versa, when I possibly did something wrong I am seen as the culprit without doubt and lynched publicly. That's the justice idea in Germany.
    19.08.12 06:40 PM
    @Sridhar,

On the day you answered this post you have lived three years in Germany and I have for four decades. Yes! I do not deny the existence of the racist tendencies here but where in the world today is there a place without it. Take our own country India where we are divided not only by Language, Caste, North, South, East, and West. Hatred written all over triggered by violence against religions, people speaking differently and trivialities connecting many other nothings.

However the skin color of people of India should be the last subject of discussion among Indian people. Yet we see it is a subject of hate. In all my years in Germany my family consisting of my Indian wife my two sons, one daughter in law (from a few years) two grandchildren 3 and 5 have tasted so little of racial hatred that’s hardly worth describing as disturbing.

A good knowledge and fluency of the language and a willingness to take up and counter all comments as humor could put your tormentors at ease and you are in command. Once there was a comment about our Sambhar in a rude way by a German in a pub. There is a minority of older Germans who are conservative.

I laughed at him and said “ You know what? “ Du hast keine Ahnung wie die westdeutsche Senf (Mustard paste sold in tubes) produziert wird. Es ist eigentlich kinderkakke und es ist Kein wunder du hast scheiße im Kopf”.

I am certain you would understand what it means. For those who don’t understand this is what it means.

“You don’t know how your West German Senf (Mustard paste sold in tubes) is produced here in Germany. It’s actually little kid’s crap filled in tubes and it is no wonder why you have so much crap in your head”.

He put on a dry smile I said it wasn’t a joke. I have enough I could tell you how I returned the jokes or put up with them. It’s art you must learn while living in a different environment than where you were born. Soon you would see no racism.
    18.08.12 02:37 PM
    A country at constant war could never become an Industrial nation. The reason: the youth of a country are the ones facing the music of death.

A country's prolonged war of many years will only be left with old people sitting in armchairs. That's the reason Germany had to import migrants to start from scratch to be what it is toady after it's war.

I fully agree with your opinion of Bush who went looking for WMD never found them. However the war he set motion seems to have no end. Killing is getting worse than Saddam's rule.

Hussein kept his people under perfect control and bush let them loose and the result you know.

What hope do the innocent people of Iraq have seeing their country prosper?
    18.08.12 12:35 PM
    But wasn't he against migration of the Jews which led to the war? Following his ideals the Neo Nazis are trying give birth such thinking to get migrants out. They think Germany is a place only for Germans.

I country in war could not become an Industrial nation. I fully agree with your opinion of Bush who went looking for WMD and the killing is getting worse than Saddam.
  • Roy
    Roy
    18.08.12 11:51 AM
    @ Rajpriya Good one but I don't agree with migration thing. It would have been same just more concentrated in Europe instead of north America. History is written by winners and projecting hitler as devin was top priority of America. Everyone remembers the no. of people killed by hitler but why don't anyone counts how many killed by USA. Not only in WW2 but even till date they r doing so. But world always ignores mistakes and crime of mighty so no one points finger at US of A. Given a choice I'll always prefer Germany with hitler over bush with USA. And who told u that hitler was against industrialisation, at that particular moment for fulfilment of his vision he was concentrating more on wars but later he might have looked up to it.
    18.08.12 11:20 AM
    @RoY

You may be right?

If Hitler succeeded and every country followed his ideals we could have avoided seeing the American Indians, British Indians, Aussie Indians and Sreesha would have never been in Germany and of course Me with no country to go to. This forum NRI would have never seen the light of day.

There are enough people who think Hitler could have saved Germany from being a powerful Industrial nation. Was quite unnecessary to get migrants to make it.

Why do we need BMW's and Mercedes or the like what we can't afford?

They are Neo Nazis and they are on their way to bring Hitler from his hiding. There is no proof of his death but speculation.

I would like meet Hitler my self.
  • Roy
    Roy
    18.08.12 04:41 AM
    By the way nice post. I liked it, I hope u still have a good relation with ur land lady and pls tell her Germany don't need to be ashamed of what hitler did. Especially after seeing what USA and other Muslim states are doing today. I wish German had won WW2 give her my message.
  • Roy
    Roy
    18.08.12 04:36 AM
    I don't know about condition about Germany's young but one thing I know is they r right about muslim's child birth. They give birth to numerous children due to which other communities suffer. Even in India same issue is makin problem for the natives.
    Allah ki den bol ke woh log bache paida kar ke aaj minority se majority main Aa Gaye hain. I think whole world should do something about it or one day these sick people will become a majority in every democracy in world.
  • sridhar
    sridhar
    18.04.12 06:20 PM
    To be honest, I find this article very misleading. I have now lived in Germany for 3 years and can say without a shadow of a doubt that there are racist tendencies everywhere. From the non-stop staring on a U-bahn, the very cold attitude shown by medical doctors to the very unkind jokes on skin color. I (and most other Indians) have faced these. You also seem to imply that the disgruntlement from immigration is limited to the older generation. This is completely false. I discuss this particular issue with just about all of my German friends (21-35 years) and this feeling is rather widespread among this group as well.

More importantly, there is always a subtext of German superiority and self-righteousness in just about every casual conversation I have had on the topic of immigration with most young Germans. The famous "dumbing down" theory is just another example. You'll be surprised at the number of people who favor Sarrazins line of thought.

I have also spent a significant part of life in England and while England might have its problems, the society is, by and large, integrated. Germany is very far from integration. This is something an article of this sensitive nature must point out.

Of course, due to the past and the law, few people are openly racist. However, if you look a little more carefully, you'll find plenty of tiny issues that will eventually add up to frustrate and irritate.

Finally, you seem to be very happy at having earned the "approval" of your landlady and that she has shaped your whole opinion on Germans. Of course, there are a great number of genuinely liberal people in Germany but even among the well-educated, subtle racism is rampant.
  • Suneeta Verma
    Suneeta Verma
    01.07.11 04:14 AM
    Sreesha, it looks to me like that old lady has a great deal of influence on you. In fact I'm not even sure you are actually NRI in germany or just fake account of a german to make these pro-racist statements so it looks legit for a migrant making these statements!
    Germans are helpful and welcoming? Have you as a non-white ever asked a german on the road to give you instructions?? Most will yell "KEINE ZEIT" (NO TIME) and shun you off. As a non-white you are under permanent watch and dare you make one little mistake, you will be punished like the worst criminal.
    And it's not about the Turks. It's about non-white people! Look at russians: there are more russians in germany than turks and lots and lots of DANGEROUS CRIMINAL russians! But do you hear complaints about russians? No! Why? Because they are not visibly to distinguish from germans. If you see a russian on the street you will not know he's a russian or german. If you see a Turk you know he's turk/arab and germans will go "not another one of these turks" in their heads. Same for other non-white migrants, e.g. NRIs!
    Indians are looked down at and laughed at in Germany. Look at the openly racist jokes in german television. Most germans see indians solely as rose-sellers (Rosenverkäufer) and paper-seller (Zeitungsverkäufer) on the street!
    If you apply for a job, and there is a random white/german guy with far less qualifiaction than you - who do you think will be picked for the job? The white/german!
    You should just be careful with your praises for germans - they are very easily proud and will become too proud and self-rightous really quick!
    But that doesn't mean turks are like sheep - most of them are also racist and intolerant!
  • suresh kumar R
    suresh kumar R
    26.01.11 05:08 PM
    hi sreesha... nice about ur comments.. u told germans are welcoming! need ur help.. pls can you send ur id to the below,
    suresh_bits2001@rediffmail.com
  • Sreesha Sreenivasan
    Sreesha Sreenivasan
    20.10.10 04:49 PM
    Ajay - Thank you.
  • Ajay VS
    Ajay VS
    04.10.10 07:58 PM
    Liked the writing and the content. Very relevant for the current scene in Europe where an anti immigrant wave is gaining momentum.
  • Sreesha Sreenivasan
    Sreesha Sreenivasan
    04.10.10 07:52 PM
    Chandrima - Thank you, glad you liked the article. You're right, I read about 40% of total immigrants in Germany are Turks. However Germans are getting concerned about the immigrants in general as well. Liked you comment about immigration teaching tolerance
  • Sreesha Sreenivasan
    Sreesha Sreenivasan
    04.10.10 07:46 PM
    Jayanth- True, Germans are very concerned about the Turkish immigrants-majority of whom live as they lived in Turkey. They do live in their own ghettos.

A Singh - Turks started arriving in Germany as "Gast arbeiter(guest workers)" post WWII when their skills were put to use to re-construct the country. Later on many stayed back and got their families into Germany as well. In Germany racism is not a major problem since the Germans are quite welcoming. Their concern is about the immigrants' lack of efforts to integrate into the German society by adopting their language, lifestyle and culture.
  • Chandrima Pal
    Chandrima Pal
    03.10.10 05:26 AM
    Very well written piece, I have lived in Germany for 8 years, and yes as you said they are very helpful, proud about their own language and culture, welcoming to foreigners but on the other hand they do have some inhibitions for long term immigrants specially from Turkey. I also felt the main reason is the Turkish consist of major immigration population in Germany, and then there are Italians, Russians and all others. Turkish are also the ones who has influenced the German culture (work and otherwise) and cuisine to a great extent, Turkish are also the ones who range from very conservative to the very liberal believes. So for Germans in spite of spending so many years together, they still don't really understand this immigrant population, and ever increasing number of them makes them overwhelmed. The same happens in UK for south Asians as they call Indians, Pakistanis, Srilankans and Bangladeshis altogether. Immigration is a world phenomenon, this gives the world the diverse color but also this teaches the world to be tolerant and inclusive. Some stray, small glitches which comes with it we should ignore.
  • A Singh
    A Singh
    03.10.10 03:32 AM
    The Turks started settling in Germany at a similar time to the main wave of immigration from the sub continent to the UK - 60s and 70s. A lot of the Indians in the UK thrived, prospered and fully integrated into British society, but many did not e.g. the Bangladeshis living in the poorer London suburbs, who are still struggling to this day.

Racism in the UK at that time was rife. During the difficult economic times of the !970s foreigners were not welcome and we were blamed for taking away, jobs, houses, etc from the "British" people. The attitude of my parents was "you need to work twice as hard as the white man" to succeed. My question is whether the responsibility for the ghetto mentality of certain groups, like the Turks in Germany and Bangladeshis in the UK, should be shared by the host nation. Are the Turks in Germany the way they are, because they were never truly accepted as German citizens in the first place?
  • Jayanth Tadinada
    Jayanth Tadinada
    03.10.10 02:20 AM
    It is a common feeling towards the turks it seems. A German friend I met in France was also lamenting the same thing. He said that the turks always tend to form ghettos and that they make very little effort to integrate!

He also mentioned that more Turkish movies are made in Germany than German movies! I am not sure if it is true but it is definitely an interesting observation :)