A New Indian Emergency?

A New Indian Emergency?

August 23, 2012

Parts of Wordpress, Blogspot, Facebook and Twitter blocked, and more. Last one to leave, please turn off the lights.

Madhuri and I hadn’t been sitting in the cafe in Seattle’s U District long before conversation about her recent trip back to Chennai turned a little bitter.

“Every time I go back to India it gets harder,” she sighed.

When I asked why, she paused and looked pensively off into the distance, seemingly struggling to find the words. Why is India hard? It turned out that she was struggling to figure out where to start.

“I don’t know, it’s just... there’s so much! Things just don’t work - electricity, water supply aren’t unreliable. There’s the blog posts out of Delhi... The more you grow up, the more you get out of your protective bubble, the more news you read, the more depressing it is. The constant threats and violence against women, the near hopelessness of the political system, the way democracy is being turned on its ear, how overwhelming it all feels when you want to try and create some kind of positive change. That's what gets to me.”

Madhuri currently studies dramatic writing at Masters level in the United States. She hopes to make a living there for the next few years and, as lofty as her ambitions (and talent) are, considers that the ‘easy’ option. A much bigger challenge, with longer-term implications, would be to start an arts college in Tamil Nadu as an alternative to the litany of engineering and medical schools that millions of young people are shoehorned into each year. That, says Madhuri, would be ‘hard’.

I agree. I had my own prolonged struggles with Indian bureaucratic process, the most infuriating of which involved trying to leave the country -- not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. To set up an organisation in India requires many forms to be filled out and much documentation to be filed; if that organisation is a competitor of any kind to other organisations, there will be further hoops to jump through and baksheesh to be passed. It’s reasonable to say that without connections to people in some power, a goal like Madhuri’s would be impossible to achieve.

She isn’t alone, either. Seattle itself, or the towns of Redmond and Bellevue to be precise, are full of brilliant young Indian minds that have left their home country in search of better opportunities, in these cases at Microsoft. There are millions more around the world who forsook India - not because they didn’t see anything in India’s future but because they are sufficiently frustrated with its present.

And then there are the young folks back home who will leave at the first opportunity, such as the young woman who dared to question Mamata Banerjee, the Chief Minister of West Bengal, on her arrest of a cartoonist who criticised her. The young woman was accused of being a Communist and ultimately wrote this very perceptive open letter to Banerjee, noting that she would quite likely become part of the brain drain. “I too will probably leave, and now you know the reason why.”

I’m writing this in the wake of fresh waves of apparent internet censorship by the Indian Government. The hashtag #emergency2012 has been trending on and off since last night as attempts to access certain Twitter and Facebook pages have reportedly produced a message like this one; this comes after a number of sites on, and more have reportedly been temporarily blocked in the wake of communalist threats following riots in the northeast state of Assam. In short, ethnic tensions are alive and well in India and the Government sought to stop the spread of hate speech in an effort to prevent further violence from occurring, which seemed a very real threat.

But wait a minute. What about the view that all this is a conspiracy by Congress, the leading party in India’s governing coalition, to attain more of the Muslim vote and boost its dwindling chances at the forthcoming general election later this year? And are certain outlets in the mainstream media a part of this conspiracy? Many using the #emergency2012 hashtag think so. (The hashtag itself, of course, is a bit of an overreaction - blocking access to Twitter accounts is not the same as throwing dissenters in prison without charge, as happened in the notorious Emergency from 1975. Still, censorship is a slippery slope for governments to venture down, and today’s apparent Twitter and Facebook blockings are unprecedented.)

For what it’s worth, this CIS India reportseems like the closest analysis of what is really going on and why. Its central conclusion is that the Government’s intentions were good but its methods were archaic at best and unconstitutional at worst.

If we step back from recent events a little, what we know is that:

1. in an effort to try and control hate speech and stop the spread of communal violence, the Indian Government is resorting to heavy-handed, messy and ultimately ineffective censorship;

2. the spin machines of various political parties have churned back into action to spread doubt about each other, with massive herds of followers to back them up as they butt heads yet again;

3. and the power could go out again at any moment.

What is the attraction in any of this, let alone to a young woman in a country named one of the worst in the world for women? Of course, as always with India, the negative elements may be pervasive and in-your-face but they are not the full picture. There is so much to love about the country, as I have discussed extensively in the past. I miss it as much as ever.

But that’s just it: that which you love the most also hurts you the most. When I think of returning to India, the first thought is of mental preparation: steeling myself to be patient in the face of a broken bureaucratic machine, headed by a system of government that spits out endless career politicians and very few independent leaders.

Madhuri will probably be successful in whatever she chooses to do with her life. I hope that by the time she returns to the thoughts of India and that big challenge, she can pursue it in an India whose political mechanism has moved on from this mess of communalism and totalitarianism; an India that prizes the currency of education, in all its forms, above the currency of political power.

Correction, August 24 2012: The post previously suggested that the domains and had been blocked. This has been amended.

• Getalife
    28.08.12 10:06 AM
    I am totally with Sampada... Rajpriya, please get a life beyond this blog. And one more thing poor baby-- you DO NOT hold ownership of each and every article published here. So, please don't feel you HAVE TO BE answerable for every article, and every comment made on them.
    27.08.12 08:01 AM
    A voice from very far would bring the one billion plus voice less Indian people to the end of a long tunnel of corruption and I would be first ever Kattarwadi to start my business in India.

That was great. My thumbs up.
  • tys
    27.08.12 12:00 AM
    there shud be a thumbs up sign icon for some comments....the one above deserves that...
  • Aryan
    26.08.12 08:16 PM
    Good Work! Your article sends me back in the seventies, To be honest nothing quite has changed in India, people are living in the same conditions like they used to be living in seventies. But yes, you will find a few changes when you will take a ride to some software parks and i don't appreciate the government for making it feasible but i will rather be thankful to greedy western corporations who have been shipping jobs to low wages economies. So better for India, they keep their low standards and they will be getting more jobs.

I am speaking on behalf of my fellow NRIs, who are often addressed as "kattarwadis" back home, because they can't listen to a single negative thing about India. Whenever they are asked about their country, they will always present it as 'Heaven on Earth' and they will do everything in their power to hide facts which tell how corrupt the system is, how pathetic the lives have become. If by doing so they think the image of India will always be restored then let it be. But they always forget that the most influential class that exist in India is that of a Business owner, the elite group of powerful people and us 'The NRIs', and we are only a few people who are heard, We are a few people who can speak up. And i see we have decided to speak in favor of our nation and We think it will restore the image of our country as 'A Paradise'. So let the poor and unwanted class which makes up like 90% of India suffer like they have always suffered, let their voices not be heard to the world, because it will send a negative aspect of Indian side so better let them suffer and not let them speak, for that purpose is served by us!

Lots of people may not like your Article son, and the same goes with my comment. That makes two of us, because we are concerned for a billion plus people.
    26.08.12 11:33 AM

Barn I am sure no one told you this ever before. If you have a glance into the post "Deutschland über Alles" you would see I have given good advice to many Indians who want come to Germany. I am not jealous of one single human being, living better than me.

It has been all hard work, looking before leaping, and taking criticism as a form of advice, having the wisdom to read between the lines that have brought me to where I am today.

It's not new that I came across people who did not want know me when I was trying to come up in life and one day when I did have walked up to me to say "Hi Raj! Long time no see? How do you do?

I say Oh! What makes you think I do things differently? Life and people are really funny.

I am not going to give here all my qualifications, the experience, all the countries I have been to or still go to, how much money I have nor how much immovable property I own. Those are not things I achieved for others to look at me in admiration but as the ones that pay good dividends to let me sit back and relax and travel wherever and whenever I want.

Flatteries are worse than bribery. They may seem friendly and loving but won’t serve your purpose of coming to India.
    26.08.12 09:49 AM

I am not against Mr. Baranaby Haszard Morris’ love for India nor his wanting to be in his employment in Kerala as popularly understood by many comments on this post.

In many western countries there are point-based systems for migration and the salary levels they are paid in their own home countries. Even people in managerial levels have been refused because their salaries were low in whatever employment they were in their own countries.

US,UK, Australia, Germany for example and many others.

Migration and employment laws of a country can not be bent to allow some one’s love for a country or how many friends they made or have in that country. I have read through his own blog that says all of his frustration and disappointments getting through with Indian bureaucracy.

Having said that if Barn tried and made friends with Indian bureaucracy.

Long before the problems started he could have had his employers to recommend him, as a talented person who could serve a great purpose being in India. May be it would have worked. May be they were not able do that because they would not pay a 25k salary.

Finding loopholes in systems even in the strictest of countries around the world has been well known and has happened thousands of times. I know Barn’s intentions are genuine. Tys and all his fans on the NRI and all of them would vouch and guarantee he is a good person but none of us could have given him a job with 25k salary. Our good word for Barn certainly is not enough to bend Indian laws. Political interference, bribes, having influential people in the right places could have made him where he loves to be.

Think of it. Could any one give him 25k job in Kerala? If yes he could soon be there. You cannot marry a beautiful woman and be nagging her for a lifetime trying to live with her. All those who heckled me, frowned at me, laughed at me are help less just as much as me to bring back Barn to Kerala he loves most to be. Barn I am sure no told you this before.

Do I owe any apologies to any one? I don’t think so because no one saw my point. I regret that it was beyond their comprehension.

@Barn, you should keep looking for loopholes in the Indian migration laws instead frowning at them and you may closer to your dream. If you keep on getting angry you are distancing yourself until you could get very old and feeble before it changes to suit your needs.

This sincere advice comes from a friend you know nothing of except that I am an NRI a whole different sort of Indian who is not wiser than highly photoshop-ed faces who just love looking at their own toes and belong to a different gap.

Thinking beyond the tip of one's nose is not everyone's cup tea.
  • Bhadra
    25.08.12 08:46 AM
    Oh, for gods sake. I am sure any Internet netizen worth his salt can easily use a proxy site and access those banned urls. This is just going to increase the number of Indians who read those "offensive" articles. What is the government doing??
    25.08.12 06:50 AM
    "NRI has some fun comment threads, ha ha ha, but this is the first time I’m seeing a generation gap here, ha ha ha. It was only in the past decade or so that people actually started realising that NRIs were a whole different sort of Indian, and now it’s even found its way online. How fun, ha ha ha."

Happy some one can have a good laugh at a whole different sort of an Indian. There are silly aunties who never would grow up to be mature Grannies they are born stupid and remain stupid.
    25.08.12 06:04 AM
    An article that could be an interesting read for Bloggers.

"Bloggers are not journalists": Talat Hussain
    25.08.12 05:40 AM
    Yes! That’s the unkindest and the cruelest cut of all. Thank God I am not affected. Technology has made us so dependent on it in our daily life.

We have come a long way from the days we used pigeons to carry messages.

It won’t be long before a different form of communication would replace the SMS system since the human mind is prone to resist restrictions of any kind. You can bet safely on it.
  • Sharell
    24.08.12 10:49 PM
    And of course, not to overlook the Indian government's introduction of a cap on the number of SMSs allowed to be sent in a day -- to 5 SMSs. Now, I couldn't care much about Twitter but that restriction really inconvenienced me. :-(
    24.08.12 06:49 PM
    I know of Indiansvwho like to be westerners and are dreaming that their prince charming appears one day from nowhere and whisk them away from India. Ha, Ha, Ha.

I hope their dreams come true. LOL
    24.08.12 06:43 PM

You are absolutely right all efforts for peaceful negotiations failed with no other option left and killings of innocent people could have continued.

There is no history of peaceful ending to human conflicts. India has many fronts to fight includings bombings taking place every now and then.

You are in the middle east and you are well aware how killing have gone on and is going this very minute.

A nation does not depend on one person. However there was one to do it without letting it go on or a few more generations.

I don't really know how India could change but I will your take word that it would and It could be a better place for my grandchildren at least if not for me.

Even if it is a burning fuse in your opinion it has brought hopes burning home fires for millions in this Island. They can sleep better.
  • tys
    24.08.12 06:15 PM
    rajpriya, the change you talk about happened in sri lanka after a bloody and relentless war...thousands were killed mercilessly...a quasi dictatorial government means that the future of a nation is dependent on an individual..its almost like a burning fuse...

i dont think the change in india will happen in the same way..,,india has always found its own unique way of solving its problems...i feel it will be the million, silent, observing middle class that actually runs the country who will demand and then force that change...

just a hunch.
    Khadija Ejaz
    24.08.12 05:55 PM
    NRI has some fun comment threads, ha ha ha, but this is the first time I'm seeing a generation gap here, ha ha ha. It was only in the past decade or so that people actually started realising that NRIs were a whole different sort of Indian, and now it's even found its way online. How fun, ha ha ha.
    24.08.12 05:32 PM
    There is no single honest Indian who has NOT faced the bureaucratic nightmares of India trying to come back. As member of a family of landowners and as businessman I myself have been subjected to all these problems. It was easier to start my business in Germany as a migrant than as an Indian in India.

Being a father of two, I am a grandfather too, have been in India almost every year sometimes thrice, and own a house for this purpose. The moment we land and step in on Indian soil I have noticed I was made to feel I was no longer treated as an Indian and certainly not a Saip.

Every Indian from customs officers to a porter and taxi drivers all made me feel that if threw out money lavishly I get a smooth passage right throughout my stay until the day I boarded a plane on my return journey. Often I dreamt of coming to India one day to see all the bad things gone and think of it being the land where I was once born.

I left the neighboring Island of Sri Lanka my foster home for education abroad four and half decades ago. It had its own communal problems and a civil war that lasted over thirty years. Most politicians who came to power did little to stop even if they could for selfish reasons. They wanted the war to continue because that was their excuse to be in power.

I was educated in a private school where my schoolmates, classmates, and juniors came from wealthy families most of whom were politicians. The foreign minister who was assassinated was a personal friend of our family and five years my senior. Two classmates who held high ranks in the army were killed while defending the country. There are a few classmates and schoolmates that are ministers today and have been.

Being an Indian in this country was easier than being an Indian in India. During the years of uncertainty of which way the war would make its turn I have been in and out of this Island and have for ten years been engaged as a consultant for a British joint venture company. I had integrated into a different culture and into everything that was other than my own. Today there is peace because the majority wanted it and they gave it all their support. No discrimination today even against those who fought for separation even though there are many who would disagree. I was free to walk the streets with my family even during the war without fear from the local Sinhalese whose language I read, write, and speak flawlessly.

Anyone could get a passport with in 4 hours with proof his or her birth. Bureaucracy in most government offices is something of the past. Terror is being replaced by infrastructure. No more terror on the streets with bombs exploding at regular intervals. I am foreigner where I was born but accepted in my foster home as one of them and have no fear in owning a business and partnerships in a few others. I am waiting patiently and hope just like Barn that the day would dawn I could enter an India sans all its bad influences to feel comfortable.

I hear unpalatable things of goings on India from many foreigners. I am just a nobody with a tiny voice unheard of like a billion Indian voices right now standing outside and expecting a miracle just like Barn to return one day to feel India is where I was born. A strong political will is all that’s needed with the majority of India’s people behind it for change. We need a die-hard nationalist blinded by patriotism to bulldoze the bad elements of the Indian society. They out number the good ones.

Our little neighbor has proved it is possible.
    24.08.12 04:31 PM

I think it is my opinion though it may sound senseless babbling to you. I exercise my freedom to have my own opinion instead of blindly saying some one is spot on. If you don't agree just don't read it.

I have no intention of stopping what you think is senseless babbling but makes a lot of sense to me.
    You could see brutal and corrupt regimes coming down if people made up their minds.
  • Sampada
    24.08.12 03:14 PM
    Its high time some one asked you this question.. So, do you really have any other work than blabbing senselessly on this blog?
    A Singh
    24.08.12 01:30 PM
    Well said Tys!
  • tys
    24.08.12 01:11 PM
    as a member of business family, I can vouch for barns said in terms of the bureaucratic nightmare you can face in India. I can vouch for the still unresolved communal tension that rises it head at the least provocation. I can vouch for the corruption and I can also vouch for the invisible but very real gags that exist in our so called democracy.

As a son, husband , friend and a brother, I can vouch for the fear a woman faces in our streets. I can vouch for the clowns we , ourselves have put on seats of power. Most of all I can say the fault is all ours.

You want solutions? Then be ready first to listen and accept the problems objectively , without getting side tracked by your feelings about it being pointed out.The biggest problem that we face is our seeming inability to ask the question, 'so what can we do about it?'

A censor ship is a reaction to a problem. It has never been proven to work. Half information,half truths etc will only lead to more rumors, fear and panic.World History has shown us this.

To want to hear only affirmations is a sickness.

for one thing we can stop refering to ourselves as being ruled by our government. Our government, elected by us is for governing us. It is a privileged job that is given. When did they become rulers?

Word is a very powerful thing. Gandhi had proved that he could make a man of questionable character into an honest trustworthy man by just defining his as such. You can make a god out of a man just by calling and then believing he is. Like wise addressing politicians as rulers is giving them a delusion of power that they should not be wielding.

Stop being ruled. Ask media to stop addressing them as rulers. India should stop being ruled. We need to be governed. There is a huge difference and it can , perhaps start with something as simple as the way we address some of its problems.

Just a thought. Now your turn, what do you think can be done to better the situation?
    C. Suresh
    24.08.12 10:38 AM
    There is no denying the fact that a lot can and must be done in India to improve the lot of women, in encouraging entrepreneurship and in encouraging freedom of speech.

That said, it needs mention that the bureaucratic difficulties of today are being faced only because you have the right to think of such ventures - in the not too far distant past, you were not even allowed to have a private education institution!

As for the treatment of women, there is no denying that much needs to be improved - the fact remains that these issues are seeing the light of the day today when nothing much would have been known about what was happening in the past.

There is rarely any other Society with as much diversity as India - linguistic, cultural and religious. Combine that with the fact that India is not a rich economy - yet - it is actually a tribute to this Society that communal tensions are only at the levels that they are at today. The Government is still at sea about the best means to tackle the spread of hate and it falls back on the tired old means of yesterday and lacks the openness to communicate its intentions clearly. I do not agree that this is an 'Emergency'-like situation. Then it was thought as the prerogative of the Government to censor; now the government indulges in it with at least publicly expressed reluctance and with a lot of thought about public outrage.

And, lastly, I must mention that there certainly is a difference between an Indian bashing India and a 'foreigner' bashing India. I can call my house dirty but if a guest to my house calls it dirty to my face, it shows lack of regard for me. I think most people miss the fact that being truthful is not an excuse for being rude. Apropos of that, let me clarify that I do not think Barnaby falls in that category since he remembers to leaven his criticism with at least a statement that this is only one facet of the India he knows and loves, which shows that he has the intent to be polite.
    24.08.12 10:27 AM
    @Jayanth Tadinada,

I have not said his was a hate campaign. I said I do not want start one against his country where things are not all perfect. Do you think Indians are unaware of all that was said in this post or do we lack intellectuals understand our problem?

We need people to give us solutions to change India
    if they are considered to be much cleverer than Indians.

Start telling us what we need to do. Projecting the bad isn't that difficult. The DailyBeast link does not say India is the worst for women it's one among those. If you look your self in to that link India is much less worse than many.

His only problem seems to be that he can't come back and all that is said seems to point to that fact.

You see it's OK but I don't. Do you have problem with that? Or do you think I should change what I said to please you?
    Padma Akula
    24.08.12 10:03 AM

Another good read.

Not everyone can accept the 'truth' or as some would like to call it 'negative'.

"I am about ready to stop writing anything about India that others will see as negative." Please DON'T.
    Jayanth Tadinada
    24.08.12 09:45 AM
    @Rajpriya: Why do you perceive this to be a hate campaign against the country?

A lot of Indians write a lot worse things about the country in a much less elegant way. Would you perceive all of them as a hate campaign against the country?

Or is it a hate campaign only if "foreigners" do it?
    24.08.12 09:00 AM
    To quote you:

“I agree. I had my own prolonged struggles with Indian bureaucratic process, the most infuriating of which involved trying to leave the country — not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. To set up an organization in India requires many forms to be filled out and much documentation to be filed”

You seem to be unable to digest your frustration with India’s bureaucracy. Is that why you make it your business to dig up so much negative statistics living so far away from India? Does it affect your daily life? Do you have any concrete ideas to end India’s miserable state if you were given an opportunity?

I am an Indian by birth. My wife is from South India. I have relatives scattered all over India. I go there very often. It is the largest democracy in the world though it is not the best. Singling out India’s problems when there are countries far worse around the world is irritating and you do it because you love India?

If I was one who could not make it abroad and had to go back to where I came from I would not waste my time criticizing those countries and their politics for not letting me be there. 1.22 billion people who have every right but cannot change India.

India may be among the worst countries for women but by far is not the only. Muslim women have the worst in their own countries. You seem to be striking a good chord with disgruntled Indians all over the world from Seattle to Wellington. You are no more interested than many Indians who want it to change for the better except that no one knows how.

New Zealand has abusive beggars who demand money with a menace in Palmerston North and were considered to be moved them out during the Rugby world cup last year. I have statistics of domestic violence against women being rampant and on the increase in New Zealand.

I won’t give any links to such news because I do not intend to start hate campaigns.
    Chandra Shekhar
    24.08.12 06:38 AM
    While some comments suggestions are germane but many are repetitive, negative, malicious and having political overtures.

You don't like rape incidents to be broadcast on tv adnauseum like the news channels like Star News or Zeenews have been doing.

If we confine to constructive criticism it will do good. Half baked facts, rumors, hateful words, abuses are becoming common which are not in good taste. I also feel that certain comments and writings should be blocked but not all at the cost of freedom of expression. Yes freedom must have a limit.
    Barnaby Haszard Morris
    23.08.12 11:55 PM
    Hi Guest123,

Thank you for this. The post has been amended.

Rajpriya, this is the study I was thinking of in relation to India being one of the worst countries in the world for women:

And as a general note, I know this article is quite overwhelmingly negative but I hope it's clear from the last couple of paragraphs, and from my past writing, that I love India and Indians and want to see it prosper.
    23.08.12 07:47 PM
    "What is the attraction in any of this, let alone to a young woman in a country named one of the worst in the world for women? Of course, as always with India,"

Ten worst countries for women
  • Guest123
    23.08.12 04:35 PM
    Barnaby: you've clearly mis-read the CIS report. It states that certain entries on WP and Blogspot have been blocked, not the whole platforms themselves, which is what the standfirst below your title, and indeed your article, suggests. I think you need to correct that.

And as for the commenters complaining about this being from the POV of the privileged middle class - well, this site is called The NRI after all. If you want nuance, objectivity and historical perspective (plus analysis of social/communal tensions in India), you'll have to look elsewhere.
    Barnaby Haszard Morris
    23.08.12 03:56 PM
    Hi Sampada, and were mentioned as having been blocked by the Government of India in the CIS report, which is linked in the post above.

I chose to focus on the global context (particularly for NRIs) of what's going on at the moment, rather than digging at length into longstanding communal tensions I know very little about. I cannot prove that all the blocked FB pages and Twitter accounts were completely harmless, no, but I'm pretty sure these ones were:

I didn't forget to suggest what the Government could have done; I offered my disagreement with its censorship methods. But here's a suggestion: if the Government is going to censor, they should state clearly why they are doing it so that there is no need for speculation. Silencing a voice absolutely must be justified in a democratic state if the populace is to maintain confidence in its Government.
  • Sampada
    23.08.12 03:42 PM
    First of all, Blogs with and are certainly working!

And do you know the number of Muslims killed in Assam? I do hope that you have heard of the 'foreign' hand in posting pictures of people killed in cyclones and earthquakes and passing them off as the victims of the Assam violence. If, in such an environment, the Government did take some actions, we could certainly do better than whining about blocked accounts..Oh, and can you please prove that all the blocked FB pages and Twitter accounts were completely harmless?????

Also, you have forgotten to give even a single suggestion as to what Government really could have done regarding this Facebook pages/ Twitter accounts situation.

p.s. I hope i don't give away the impression to have decided to criticize your writing (esp. since my last comment on your blog)I am actually a fan of yours, but this post just let me down.
    Khadija Ejaz
    23.08.12 03:13 PM
    I always enjoy reading your perspective about India. Sometimes these complaints lose their effect when you hear them ad nauseum from Indians, so it's interesting to hear somebody from the outside notice them as well.
    23.08.12 10:37 AM
    Madhuri is a lucky lady. She was lucky to go to the US to study. Yet there are millions who are not lucky as her. There are countries worse than India where there is no such freedom for people to criticize anything about theirs’ even from outside.

If every Indian who qualified abroad wants to start a business of their own coming back it would largely depend on: That there is a market that demands their services and how well they could supply to meet that demand. If those services are already available what difference does the new one make?

If one looks around with eyes wide open they certainly won’t miss those countries where millions are trapped with no way of getting out them. Regardless of which party comes into power in India they are as bad as the ones that preceded where they think what they do is best for their country and worst they are given a mandate by a democratic process.

At least India ignores any criticism by foreigners who have been to their country once but there are enough countries one may never be able set foot in again if one is a constant critic of the way they run their countries.

There are countries that won’t allow people take up jobs for which there are plenty of qualified and unemployed people of their own. Millions are unemployed and enough people qualified to do what foreigners can do in India. I know lot of foreigners who go to third world countries and think they are the best things that could happen to that country. However India does not think so and that may be the reason for refusal. No one is indispensable in India.

What would a foreigners’ opinion be the best solution for India to become the country they would like it to be. If India issued all foreigners a visa today to come work and live would it change their present opinion? As tourists there are no restrictions coming to India any way.

I know of many people who struggle to get tourist visas to Western countries they like to go to or how ever genuine their intentions are.
    Barnaby Haszard Morris
    23.08.12 08:06 AM
    NB: The all-black image is a reference to many Indian Twitter users changing their profile pictures to the same in the wake of the #emergency2012 trend.