Love2HateU

Love2HateU

December 09, 2011

Haters are always gonna hate. Star World India decided to turn that into ratings and money.

Going up a staircase is a lot harder than coming down, building something up is a lot harder than knocking it to the ground and hating? Well hating just comes a hell of a lot easier than loving. It’s the truth, there’s no denying it. Reality TV in India just took an interesting twist away from celebrities with botched boob-jobs and people who make Lady Gaga seem like the girl next door. There is a lot of room for controversy, mostly because we enjoy creating some out of thin air. Don’t believe me? Have a talk with the Indian censor board, or you could just tell Kapil Sibal and be a narc.

Love2HateU
is Arjun Rampal at his most expressive, which isn’t saying much
. Once in a while his eyes are slightly wider and his monotonic drawl goes to a vague bi-tone. This show was allegedly the result of the under-promotion of his role in Ra-one. He needed to channel his anger and hate for a certain King Khan. Then again this is just hearsay and might be the speculation of sensationalists.

This literal hate channel, brings together haters and the hate-ees. The haters are invited to chat about their hatred for a well-known personality which is followed by a “shocking” interruption of the hate-filled conversation by none other than the personality themselves. What follows is an epic “battle of wits”, which is in essence a chance for the celebrity to win over their haters and convert them into neutrals or if they are lucky, fans even.

I’ve watched a couple of episodes, a result of mild curiosity and reluctance to reach for the remote. It opens with a montage of rather disturbing, unclear and badly executed animations which seem rather suited for a scene in a movie about Chernobyl. There was the one with Chetan Bhagat and Farah Khan. I won’t lie, I hate Chetan Bhagat, so I could really “connect” with Roshni’s (the hater) opinions and all. I cheered when she voiced thoughts I’ve had since I picked up his first book and I laughed at his weak comebacks. I also realized how easy it was to hate. Farah was up next with an expression to match her menacing appearance. I placed a bet with my sister, saying that she would hurl the poor chap who was hating on her out the window, she was more than capable. I lost the bet, but once again I was surprised at how easy it was to hate.

I’ve have in the past 2 weeks alone had 7 different discussions with people who love Chetan Bhagat’s books, each time I’d be there citing a long list of reasons why he didn’t deserve his fame or his status
. These debates like most debates that happen around here consist of two people alternately saying the same thing over and over hoping the other will get tired and give in. I have said the same things I heard Roshni say on TV - he is a sorry excuse for a writer, he doesn’t deserve the status he has in Indian publishing, et cetera. I also know that I want to be a published author someday, and I will be lucky to have half as many people like my work as the number of people who hate his. It’s easy to hate, I still hold on to my opinions, that isn’t likely to change, but then again credit is hardly ever given where credit is due. On that note Star World India deserves some credit for their good sense in capitalizing on our love for drama and defamation. It’s the way of the world - unfair, and until we get used to it we’re just going to have to Hate2Love.

Photo credit: network2media.com

• tys
    tys
    16.01.12 09:58 PM
    to all those who are on the war path with priety zinta...

iam embaressed to say that i did happen to catch that episode when i was in india ...it was actually a practical joke being played on that abraham guy..the fat guy and the zinta girl punks abraham...

now that u know, doesnt it clear the air and makes us all want to dance around the park waving flowers?

glad to spread some lurve...
  • Vidhya Iyer
    Vidhya Iyer
    16.01.12 08:25 AM
    @happy :Thank you =]
  • Happy go lucky
    Happy go lucky
    15.01.12 11:01 PM
    I loved this post!!
    I hate Chetan Bhagat and the only reason I watched the show was to see how he reacted.

But I never thought of it as 'its easy to hate'. I've met more Chetan Bhagat lovers than haters though.
    Loved your take on this.
  • Mr. Money To Burn
    Mr. Money To Burn
    24.12.11 06:06 PM
    I personally think Preity Zinta hates fat people. We all know, actresses fight the curse of flab everyday and sell their souls to look gorgeous (ad: email me to buy celebrity souls; dealer is a close friend).

When she saw a fat guy judge her, she was like, "How you think you better than me when you so fat, muthafucka? TAKE THAT!" While the fat guy got scared to death by a gentle push, Arjun Rampal had the urge to be macho because those two were getting all the camera time, so he went and man-handles the cameraman for doing his job.
    23.12.11 11:04 PM
    @ MAGGIE :)
    That's lots of hate just for a TV program. Take a chill pill before you get the heart attack love. We can always write to a program maker to put you on next episode, just tell us who you don't like. :)
  • Maggie
    Maggie
    23.12.11 10:45 PM
    I JUST WATCHED THE PROMO FOR THE LATEST EPISODE OF L2HU, WITH THE HASBEEN ACTRESS PRITI SOMETHING OR THE OTHER. THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST SHOW EVER, AND HOW DARE SHE TOUCH THE POOR MAN ON THE SHOW AND IDIOTS ON THE SHOW JUST WATCHED WHILE THIS FEMALE TOOK OF ON HIM. AND CAUSED AN ASTHMATIC EPISODE, THE B@#$% OUGHT TO BE SUED. IF YOU FOOLS ARE UNABLE TO TAKE CRITICISM, WHY THE F%&*# DID U ALL WANT TO BE IN THE PUBLIC FACE ALL THE TIME. IT'S LIKE, LOOK AT ME I'M SO GORGEOUS, AND WHEN THE PUBLIC DOES, AND COMES OUT WITH UNPALATABLE HOMETRUTHS, DIFFICULT TO TAKE!!! WHEN I GO TO WATCH A MOVIE AND SPEND A LOT OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY, IF I DON' LIKE THE CRAP OR THE PIECE OF CRAP ACTING IN IT, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SAY SO. AND , SERIOUSLY ARJUN R. CAN'T U GET A BETTER JOB. WHAT THE HELL ARE U DOIN' THERE, MAN.
  • Vidhya
    Vidhya
    18.12.11 11:54 AM
    @vaibhav : the Mahesh Bhatt episode was pretty intense, I wasn't sure what he was trying to say half the time though
  • vaibhavGhevde
    vaibhavGhevde
    17.12.11 10:22 PM
    Real cool post. My favourite episode was that of Mahesh Bhatt. I hate him too, but appreciate the man for taking for how he look it.
  • Vidhya
    Vidhya
    13.12.11 08:14 PM
    @Writerzblock: thanks =]

@tys: I absolutely adore the phrasing of your reply to mmtb

@jaai: The question is a puzzler for sure, but funnily enough I've never given it much thought, even when I've used the phrase
  • Jaai
    Jaai
    13.12.11 06:45 PM
    Yes, that's like the question philosophers frequently bother themselves with: Would the world be beautiful if no one were there to see it?

But what I think he meant is, no one finds you attractive enough, so you're just going to have to fuck yourself.
  • Writerzblock
    Writerzblock
    13.12.11 06:14 PM
    @ Harry: Lol! I just read this, and can't say how happy I am to have an online well-wisher like you :-)

@ Vidhya: I loved your article. Like you rightly said, it certainly is easy to hate, and Star World definitely deserves credit for being the first mover in this game!!

@ Mr. Money To Burn: Oh my!!! That's a lot of hatred in one comment! Btw, I am a home-maker and I never watch Sitcoms. Maybe I'm missing out on something ;-)

@ Tys: You aren't just Angela's hero anymore, you know!!
  • tys
    tys
    13.12.11 05:46 PM
    jai : i cud never understand that : how does one go and fuck themselves? Its like saying go and kill yourself...to experience both, you need to be able to witness..i mean in the first case there has to be a fucker and a fuckee and in the other a killer and the killed ...when its the same person filling both the roles...who is the experiencer and who is the doer..u wud say both..in which case who is fucked and killed? ...u wud say both ...in which case who saw it and defined it? ...

its all so confusing when people say that...

i wish you hadnt brought that up....now i wont be able to sleep.
  • Jaai
    Jaai
    13.12.11 05:36 PM
    Did you know he once wrote a blog called Hey NRI go fuck yourself?

Okay, he didn't mean this blog. But still. :|
  • The NRI
    The NRI
    13.12.11 04:05 PM
    @mmtb - thank you for your almost full apology ('I am mildly sorry') before I had to step in. You know, personal attacks against the authors are not really on.

Maybe you should consider utilising your undoubted skills in writing for us. While you are pondering that, you must know:

1. You would need to use a real name, or at least one that sounds real.
    2. We cannot pay you - we have no money to burn.

If like the author, you are aspiring to be a writer, and interested in taking up this offer, please mail me through the contact page of this site (under any name you like).

I would have mailed you already, but assumed that your email id was as fake as your moniker here.
  • Vidhya
    Vidhya
    13.12.11 03:26 PM
    @mmtb: Whatever you say dude
  • tys
    tys
    13.12.11 12:47 PM
    @mmtb : :) damn man, you ARE funny!!!

btw, that was an artistic representation of me lighting a cigarette...the shadows are to save the readers from throwing up their meal upon full exposure...there's only so much the world should endure.

its pravin ramachandran. I am in Sharjah.

now u know why i prefer the name tys..its more generic

Now. Wheres my ice cream? Personally I would prefer that money you planned to smoke..
  • Mr. Money To Burn
    Mr. Money To Burn
    13.12.11 10:08 AM
    tys,

I may have insulted her a little too much, I realize that now. For that, I shall send her an apologetic suitcase full of cash and an ice cream (okay, two ice creams). Vidya Iyer, I am mildly sorry. I'm sure you're a wonderful person. I was projecting my recent business loss on you. I shouldn't have. Usually killing endangered species helps me cope, but I needed something else this time. I'm sorry I treated you like an endangered specie.

Sometimes it takes a guy with an acronymic name - and picture taken in candle light - to explain me the cowardly anonymity of internet. Ironic it is.

tys, kindly post your name and address to display some desi-manhood and I'll send you some ice cream too.

Sincerely,
    .....(oh shit, the expensive alcohol is acting up).
  • tys
    tys
    13.12.11 04:18 AM
    mmtb: u know whats the most ironic thing about cyber space is? its how every single spineless moron can get cocky and try to win a pissing contest in anonymity....that's a lot like a shadow trying to win a fist fight.

shes given you her name ,her identity and her opinion ...and what you have is barbed stupidity disguised as clever response and a moniker that reeks of arrogance.

sir, you are being rude to her on a personal level and not focusing on the article at hand.

please refrain..

if u see this as an insult and would like to threaten me , please do so in person, i will gladly give you my location and name ... and u can come to me with a 1000 rs note and we will figure out a better use for it.
  • Mr. Money To Burn
    Mr. Money To Burn
    13.12.11 12:17 AM
    *meditate (not mediate)
  • Mr. Money To Burn
    Mr. Money To Burn
    13.12.11 12:07 AM
    Jaai. STFU! Or I will tape it shut with a 1000 rupee note.

Vidhya Iyer. It's MISTER Money To Burn to you.

We are unanimous on the point of disliking Chetu - I high five Jaai's face on that. But the issue is your 'About Me'. It's almost like you hired Chetan Bhagat to write it for you and told him you'll pay in one rupee coins. And, he agreed.

The first few lines are fine, until it reaches: "she believes a movie should be made about her origins..."
    That's some Kamaal Khan level snobbery. What's so movie-worthy about you? Are you Titanic? Are you Ra One? No, na. If anything, that makes you sound like Paris Hilton.

Speaking of celebrities desperate to look smart, you had another line: "publish a novel sometime soon"
    Soon is vague, isn't it? To a Mayanist, before 2012 should be soon. To a procrastinator, it's before he dies. Either you have a book or your don't. Just writing down your ambitions are better left for "dear diary" time, else it makes you look like a girl staring at the sky in a chin-on-palms stance, counting stars. Airhead point reinstated.

Finally: "She watches sitcoms faithfully because they are her destiny."
    I had to mediate for 2hrs to calm my mysterious rage over this, before I could write further. Sitcoms are your destiny? How? Do you aspire to be a homemaker who will sit and watch sitcoms her entire life (which seems quite likely) or do you aspire to join the television industry?

I'm too overwhelmed to write anymore. I need answers! Until I get them, I will wrap cigars with money and smoke them.

Sincerely,
    B-Dogg.
  • Jaai
    Jaai
    12.12.11 12:20 PM
    Quit it, Mr. Money to Burn. Stop bullying women who don't like Chetan Bhagat. They're a rare species.
  • Vidhya
    Vidhya
    12.12.11 08:46 AM
    @Jaai : I think that's a given, considering the show is hosted by a celebrity.

@Moneyburn: Thanks I guess. I like my bio FYI, I don't like Chetan Bhagat's writing as Is obvious from the post. I am not a fan of PAulo Coelho's either, and neither am I laboring under delusions of a great understanding of the universe and it's ways.
  • Mr. Money To Burn
    Mr. Money To Burn
    11.12.11 11:44 PM
    I agree with, Jaai, this show is made to make the hater uncomfortable. Why surprise the hater when the celebrity comes with full knowledge of who (s)he is meeting?

Vidhya Iyer, your about me screams "airhead". A few American sitcoms later, every teen feels they have a sense of humor nowadays. And Paulo Coelho makes them feel writer-ly with endless profundity.

Better description of yourself than just "OMG! SOOOOO full of life and dreams! That's me, really." or you another Chetan Bhagat. I hate Chetu. Just wanted to get that out since we were on the topic of Love2HateU. You're right, it IS easy.
  • Jaai Vipra
    Jaai Vipra
    10.12.11 12:15 PM
    Poor Chetan Bhagat didn't get what the girl was trying to say. And I think what they're doing on this show is tell the haters why they're stupid.
    10.12.11 04:10 AM
    I think pallavi going to agree with you on hating Chetan bhagat.