Deutschland Uber Alles

Deutschland Uber Alles

July 28, 2010

Why do Indians choose Frankfurt as a transit point rather than a destination in this highly developed European nation?

Indian : A word used to refer to a person whose ‘usual country of residence’ is India or in other words one who is a legal citizen of India (let’s forget the American Indians for now. Even if one wishes not to forget that, one can always remember that the reason why American natives were called Indians was because Columbus thought he had reached India).

Indian: A synonym for immigrant? Maybe not, considering that the top five countries of origin for immigrants are in the African continent. But then, it would be more appropriate to call asylum seekers from Africa as refugees since they are fleeing from drought, hunger, poverty and persecution. Not so for Indians. For the educated, skilled and employed, India is a beautiful and quite a comfortable country to live in. Also, apparently amongst all the countries in the world, Indians have the highest Happiness Quotient (HQ). Yet hoards of Indians leave the shores of India for more exciting, foreign lands. These lands have typically been USA, UK, Canada or Australia.

Though Europe is an equally enticing and challenging continent, very few immigrants from India chose Europe as their future home. Germany in particular is the most advanced and the richest European country. It has the best social benefit programme for its citizens and immigrants. Right from the first day of arrival, a refugee is provided food, shelter and health insurance. Agreed, Indians do not migrate as refugees rather as skilled or semi-skilled assets. So why do Indians avoid this incredibly attractive country? The answer lies in the immigration requirements of Germany. One primary requirement is an adequate command of the German language. As the inimmitable legend, Amitabh Bachhan once said, I(ndians) can talk English, I(ndians) can walk English, I(ndians) can laugh English, I(ndians) can run English. But learn another foreign language? Na re baba na!

Between the 22 officially scheduled languages and the dozen unofficial ones, Indians already know bits and pieces of far too many languages. German is not an easy language to learn either. Everything has a gender. So every living or non-living entity has either a male, female or neutral gender assigned to it (him/her). If one was to replace the noun with a pronoun in the sentence, “Please pass the bag around”, it would become “Please pass her around”, since bag is a feminine entity. Similarly, “The machine is broken. Get her fixed” or “I have hidden the house key near the front door, you will find him under the doormat”. As hilarious as it may sound, learning German is not a laughing matter. So why would the Indians, educated in English bother to cram a foreign a language into their already over-taxed brains? There are far simpler options available wherein their only concerns will be unpacking and setting up base rather than spending bewildering nights delving into the depths of accusative, dative, nominative and genitive cases of German grammar.

However, Germany with the largest economy in Europe has the greatest shortage of IT staff. The German Information Technology Association estimates that twenty-five percent of IT vacancies remain unfilled. While low skilled workers will find it difficult to gain permission to work in Germany, highly skilled workers find it easier to gain permanent residency since the government is making an attempt to lure highly skilled workers into Germany. The professions most in need are natural scientists (biologists, chemists, physicists), engineers, professors and scientific personnel in high technology areas. But with German being the official working language, may God Bless those who decide to move to this green pasture for their German green card.

• Amit Kumar
    Amit Kumar
    27.03.13 09:38 PM
    Hello,
    I am Amit Kumar from India. I have 3 years Diploma in Electrical Engineering and have a experience of 9 years in electricity/power industry. Can I be succeed if I apply for the work permit and can I get the job easily of my field.
    04.12.12 03:36 PM
    This Post started on 28 July 2010. I am waiting to know about one single person who has been able to find a job in Germany with information communicated here until this day.

If any one has succeeded they have been secretive about their success. While Indians seek help to find jobs they do not seem to part with information on how successful they been in finding one.

There have been a couple of instances long ago I helped a few Indians (1980’s) to get jobs at the British Royal Air force Base close to where I live in Germany through my good connections I had there. However, it was disappointing to hear later that they were not competent enough to handle jobs they were trusted with.

These guys never informed me anything about leaving those jobs (or that they were sent away) until months later I bumped into them. To find jobs for known or recommending people unknown for jobs through connections always comes with certain amount of risks.

A person who recommends someone for a job may not know enough about one's experience or capability on how that person would handle the job. In addition, the recommending person would not know what is expected of this person he recommends to a company.

Nevertheless, Good Luck with Monster.de
  • Arvind
    Arvind
    04.12.12 12:22 PM
    Hi,

It is like that your prior connection or skill set works here. monster.de is the good site.
    21.11.12 11:31 PM
    @Harsha,

Enter details that you want to work in your field, give your professional qualifications and your personal contact email address is where you should begin.

They may contact you with a proposal. Read everything carefully and patiently and enter details. It may not happen overnight.

They first recognize your qualification and then might make a proposal according to the available vacancies.

Since there are lots of inquiries from qualified people not only from India but many other countries you have to keep at it.

As and when I get some information I pass them on. However there is nothing I myself can do to find any one a job.
  • Harsha
    Harsha
    21.11.12 10:52 PM
    Thanks Rajpriya for sharing the link.The university where I studied is recognized as H+ i.e, it is equivalence to German degree. This site doesn't have any information about the jobs.
    21.11.12 11:32 AM
    @Anmol @arvind @Vinod, @Savitha, @Harsha,

Hi all of you.

I found a place with useful information for all those who are aspiring to come to Germany to live and work. The link below is titled “anerkennung in Deutschland” meaning “Recognition in Germany”.

If you are not a German, you have had your professional qualifications outside Germany and want your qualifications find recognition in Germany.

Follow the link below and try your luck in finding what you need and if you succeed please let me know.

If you do not have a goal you cannot score.

It is in English and you won’t need translations.

20.11.12 06:47 PM
    @Raj,

Try this website for IT jobs.
  • Raj
    Raj
    20.11.12 05:34 PM
    I am working i India in IT Field and having 14 years experience. I am mainly into the delivery of software and project and programe management. I am PMP and Scrum certified. Is there any possibility that I can get a job in IT in Germany?
    20.11.12 02:49 PM
    @Shai,

Es sollte heißen:

Really correct if you wrote:

"Aber die deutsche Sprache ist so einfach zu lernen. Man buchstabiert alles wie man es spricht."
    20.11.12 02:44 PM
    @Shai,
    Es sollte heißen:

20.11.12 01:06 AM
    @Shai,

If you wrote that sentence your self then your know German and your German is not rusty. The following link would give some idea how easy German language is.

20.11.12 12:46 AM
    Wenn es so einfach wäre?
  • Shai
    Shai
    20.11.12 12:17 AM
    Aber die deutsche Sprache ist so einfach zu lernen. Man buchstabiert alles als man spricht!
    (Was that right? My German's a bit rusty...)
  • Harsha
    Harsha
    18.11.12 05:43 PM
    @Arvind,
    I am also trying to get a job offer to work in Germany while staying in India.
    How could you manage to get interview calls? Please let me know the job portals where you had uploaded your CV.
    16.11.12 09:25 PM
    @Savitha

Unfortunately I am not an on expert on availability of kinds of employment you can get in Germany for various qualifications any one has obtained in India and the salaries you may get in Germany for those jobs.

I can answer about Germany’s general Immigration laws if any one would want to come to Germany. I am totally ignorant about how Indian dieticians and many other Indian professionals can get jobs in Germany. You have to apply and find out for yourselves.

However, I would advise you wait until your hubby’s job offer materializes and you are granted a family reunion visa to come over and then learn the language and become eligible for employment to find one. Under a family reunion visa you may not be granted a work visa until a few years of residence in Germany.

I have given the address of Amway in Germany below. It’s near Berlin. Please write to them to find out if you could work for them.

The distance from Frankfurt to Berlin is ca. 600 km.

Amway GmbH?
    Benzstr. 11 b – c?
    82178 Puchheim?Germany
    Tel. +49 89 80094 - 0?
    Fax +49 89 808739
  • Savitha
    Savitha
    16.11.12 07:34 PM
    Hi rajpriya,

I Have completed my MS clinical nutrition,Currently workng as an health consultant with Amway. Now in a situation to move to germany since my hubby got a job offer there in frankfurt, how about the job openings there for indian dietitians? hw about the pay scale over there? any new certification required for indian Dieticians????
  • Vinod
    Vinod
    03.11.12 01:56 AM
    Hi... I have completed mechanical engineering.... and I have a plan to do GIMS in university of applied science hof, I chose this because I ll gt the certificate frm Psg (a reputed college in south India) & hof.... can I go forward with this???
  • Arvind
    Arvind
    28.10.12 11:49 PM
    I had couple of interviews but not successful yet.

Arvind
  • Arvind
    Arvind
    28.10.12 11:48 PM
    Pragya , I wanted to ask . i am also trying to get some offer from german firm but i am not successful. How they hire ? how we can come to know about opportunities?

Arvind
  • monalisa
    monalisa
    25.10.12 12:41 PM
    Awesome job Shreesha and Rajpriya. You have devoted so much of your time and helped people with elaborate and honest answers. Really impressive. Answers a lot of my questions and now I am clearly better informed. Thanks a ton!!
  • Anmol
    Anmol
    14.10.12 06:00 PM
    Hi rajpriya ...

My name is Anmol Pathak, i am from New Delhi, i am a Hotel management graduate, have worked with hotels nearby three years in food and beverage department. I want to work in germany. I have also cleared the A1 language exam from Max Mueller institute, as an external and successfully got 80% of marks. I am very passionate to work in germany especially in hotels. Now after succeding the exams ,i am really confused where should i go, i dont want to go to the consultancies, i am not a rich man but a real hard working guy. Where should i go.?? what should i do now.??? residence in germany will not be a problem for me.As i have got people who can give me asssistance for living germany (Hamburg). Now i want to work in germany at work permit. Please help ..!! I am really frustrated now. :-(
  • student
    student
    19.09.12 09:53 PM
    i want to come to germany only because of their famous red light districts.I think there is no other option in world to german red light districts, they are the best.Are they safe to visit and under budget?
    09.09.12 11:46 AM
    @Rita Sharma,

To make a long story short here is what you do. When your husband completes his MS and if he is successful in being granted a work permit that would also give him a Residence Visa you need to apply for a family reunion visa (Spouse Visa) to join your husband.

Once you are granted the spouse visa and you are in Germany you become a resident of Germany. Once you are a resident and have proof of it you can gain admission to any university in Germany to do your MS, without any further visa requirement. As a resident of Germany you do NOT require any student visa to study in Germany except the required finances.

You have to live in Germany for a specified number of years as an immigrant resident before you would be granted a work permit.

However, every thing would depend on your husband getting his work permit after he completes his MS in Germany. I can not predict what the immigrant laws would look like at that time.
  • Rita Sharma
    Rita Sharma
    09.09.12 01:08 AM
    My husband is in germany for MS on student visa once he completes his MS and gets a job and a work permit in germany... can i go to germany on spouse visa and apply for MS there in universities and do MS without applying for student visa instead applying for a spouse visa as my funding of education and living expenses will be beared by him what all the things i have to show to university and german consulates for my funding of MS ther will the account of my husband stating the required fung will do the needful for both or do i have to show the account with the required funds on my own name and then after completing my MS will i be allowed to work there
    02.09.12 02:20 PM
    @Gaurav Lanjekar

For comprehensive information contact the German Embassy in your area. They are the people who can give you accurate and to date information.

02.09.12 12:45 PM
    @Pragya,

The only people who could help you in this matter are the Deka Bank, Frankfurt. They should apply for your work permit with a contract of employment in your name at the Frankfurt *”Arbeitsamt” for your employment in their Bank. Once it is granted they should apply to the **“Ausländeramt” in Frankfurt filling in the ***“Verpflichtungserklärung”.

Once they are granted they should send copies of all documents directly to the German Embassy in your area of residence in India and a copies to you. You would then apply for your visa for entry to Germany with these documents as proof of your employment contract and sponsorship.

*”Arbeitsamt” = Employment office.
    **“Ausländeramt” = Foreign Office.
    **“Verpflichtungserklärung” = Sponsor Form.

I hope the information helps.
  • Gaurav Lanjekar
    Gaurav Lanjekar
    02.09.12 12:05 PM
    Hi RajPriya,
    Thank you for your amazing blog.

My wife is getting a job offer in Germany.
    Currently both of us reside in India. My question is, Will i be able to travel with her on a family re-union/spouse visa. Or she would have to travel alone first and only then i can go.. how does this work.
  • Pragya
    Pragya
    01.09.12 12:23 AM
    Hi Rajpriya,

I am an Engineer and I got a job offer from Deka Bank, Frankfurt, germany. They have not hired an Indian before. They are trying to get a work permit for me. But they are facing problem. They say that- the problem is that you need a working permit to get a contract and you need a contract to get a working permit. So there is basically a circle. Is getting work permit so difficult? I obviously dnt want them to be stuck in this and loose the offer. Can you please help me with this.
    26.08.12 08:23 AM
    @Lakshmi Narayana,

The Link below will give all the information about this University. http://www.fh-heidelberg.de/de/

Heidelberg is a beautiful city. There are no good and bad universities in Germany. All universities in Germany are well known for their high standard of education.

The world’s most popular Heidelberg printing machines are manufactured in Wiesloch-Waldorf a suburb of this city. When you are in this city you can’t miss its Headquarters and their training center right in front of the busy railway station.

The first thing is to get your admission. Then come over and start looking around for part time jobs. Part time jobs will be after your hours of study. This will depend on what you are prepared to do and how long.

If you would find a job is what I cannot predict. It will depend mostly on you.

There is a huge international student community in Heidelberg. I am certain they are all in some kind of part time employment. If you read my other messages in this post you will find most answers.

After finishing your education you start to worry about your career because by that time you would know what your chances are in Germany more than I could tell. Hope the information was useful.

I wish all the best for your admission.
  • Lakshmi Narayana
    Lakshmi Narayana
    26.08.12 01:06 AM
    Hii,Rajpriya I have completed my engineering in electronics and communication background and applied for the Masters programme for information technology in SRH Heidelberg University.Could you guide me about the university ,whether it is good or not and the career after the course and also the opprtunities for part times. please guide us.

Lakshmi Narayana
    18.07.12 08:53 PM
    @sumit,

While you are driving in Germany if you are stopped by German Polizei they would tell exactly what you should worry about. Until then you are ok.

OK I will take care
  • Sumit
    Sumit
    18.07.12 07:47 PM
    Rajpriya,

Thanks a ton. So I don't need to worry about the license at least for a year.

Take Care,
    Sumit
    18.07.12 07:05 PM
    @Sumit

Correction: Your US driving license will be valid for a period of ONE year.
    18.07.12 05:40 PM
    @sumit,

Your US driving license will be valid for a period of year. Because you are used to driving on the right side of the road. Getting a German driving license won'T be difficult. After one year you need to get a German driving license for the simple reason that they can keep record of traffic offences in Europe.

You are allowed to collect 18 points after which limit you driving license will taken away and to get it back you have to go through a rigorous IQ test.
  • Sumit
    Sumit
    18.07.12 04:49 PM
    Hello Rajpriya,

Thanks for your kind reply. Let me ask you one more question, how easy or tough is it to get a driving license in Germany. Would you know is US driving license is valid over there ?

Best regards,
    Sumit
    16.07.12 11:24 PM
    @Sumit

Here is some news that could encourage you. The 16-year-old schoolboy Shouryya Ray lives in Dresden, with his family almost close to Polish and Czech Republic border in the Eastern Part of Germany. So there are Indian families living safely over there.

Read the news about this Indian Genius below:

16.07.12 09:56 PM
    @Sumit,

As matter of fact Sreesha Srinivasan really started this blog. At some stage I had barged in and I have not heard from her ever since. I only hope she is not offended by my taking over her blog.

Magdeburg is part of former East Germany. It is true the East German people had been suppressed by the communist rule for over forty years. They were deprived of good education and many other comforts that were part of the western part of Germany.

Though the fall of Berlin wall was very welcome the youth found that they were not able get better jobs and get on in life because of this. I have driven through Magdeburg a few times on the motorway but have ever had an opportunity to experience how life would be there.

Things cannot be that bad at the moment. I won’t give you any adverse comments about Magdeburg because I myself have not heard anything bad. Things are improving. You should be OK.

I think I answered some of your queries sometime ago. As I said before, it is best to move into a hotel in Magdeburg first and then look for an apartment your self where your German colleagues in your work place would help you. Trying to book an apartment before you get there might not be that advisable.

It is true that most apartments are rented with out fitted kitchens because the new people who move like to have their own type of kitchen. However you still could find ones with fitted kitchens.

You can buy kitchens to suit your budget but may not be the best. You still will have a good choice to go by.

I hope this info helps.
  • Sumit
    Sumit
    16.07.12 08:37 PM
    Hello Rajpriya,

Let me start by saying that your blog is very helpful for people in the process of transition and shifting to Germany. My heartfelt congratulations for doing such a great job.

I have been offered a scientist position at Helmholtz Center for Env. Reseach. in Magdeburg. I am currently in USA and will be moving over to Magdebug in a month time. I was wondering what is the best way to look for an apartment. Also, from whatever I have seen on the net it seems that German apartments are usually without the kitchen, is this a norm and is it very expensive to get the kitchen furnished. Also could you make some comment about general dos and donts in regard with staying in a east German city. I have heard all kind of things abut east Germany and I am not sure what to take out of it.

Best regards,
    Sumit
    16.07.12 05:38 PM
    @Shalini,

Munich is the third biggest city in Germany after Hamburg and Berlin. It’s an interesting city to live in. The salaries paid for an Engineer should be good enough to live a comfortable life. If you do not have children you should first opt for smaller apartment first closer to husbands’ work pace if possible.

Once you get used to Munich and if your husband could drive (keeping on the right side of the road with steering wheel on left of the car) and move to a suburb around Munich for a quieter environment you should be ok.

There is a restriction to take to work for wives granted with family reunion visas for certain number years. If I am not mistaken it’s 5 years. However you could approach the Arbreitsamt (The Govt. managed employment authority for a work permit.)

A useful Tip: If you could on your own find an employer while you are in Munich they could obtain a work permit by telling the employment authority of your qualification it might be that you too could get employed sooner. It is important to enroll yourself for German language classes as soon as you are here so that you could be fluent as soon as you can: an added advantage to help you find employment soon.

There are several American companies in and around Munich you could approach while you are there and employed there would be easier. Cost living should be bearable in Germany because the annual increment your husband would get always keeps abreast of inflation as a normal rule in Germany.

Living in Munich you are so close Austria, Switzerland and France the Alps running through all these countries including Germany one could not ask for more.

Here is the comprehensive German taxation Wikipedia link.

Wish you and your husband all the best.
  • Shalini sahani
    Shalini sahani
    16.07.12 04:38 PM
    Hi Rajpriya,

I have been reading this post from 1 month, and need your help...

My husband has received a offer from German company in Munich. He is an engineer, How is life in Munich, is it good (Living cost please?),What is the tax slab for couples.He is been granted with resident permit (to work). I have been granted a dependent visa (Family reunion), does this mean I cannot work at all ? I am an engineer too. please guide us.

Shalini sahani
    14.07.12 12:04 AM
    @rahul singh,

I could not really tell what you are looking for. If I were you and I was looking for a job in Germany and I get one I would just go take the job and settle down and adapt myself to that place.

That is exactly what I did four and half decades ago. I have passed through Bottrop many times and its just another Industrial city like any other in Germany. The population of this city is around 120,000.

That time when I was looking jobs I always had in mind the famous saying "Beggars can't be choosy".
  • rahul singh
    rahul singh
    13.07.12 11:11 PM
    how is bottrop as a place to settle in????
    11.07.12 10:08 PM
    @ rahul singh,

There are NO bad companies in Germany. I would say you should consider yourself damned lucky to get an offer from a German company. Any place in Germany is good to live. Bottrop is north of Düsseldorf. Surrounded by cities like Essen, Oberhausen, Mülheim a huge Industrial hub.

Take it before some one else gets it. What are you waiting for?

• rahul singh
    rahul singh
    11.07.12 09:33 PM
    Hiee...
    Does Anyone knows M C bauchemie company in bottrop??? how is it??
    i have got an offer from M C bauchemie..
    should i go ahead n join it..??? presently i stay in INDIA and was planning to shift to germany to work with MC Bauchemie.
    how is bottrop to live in
    04.07.12 05:39 PM
    @Amol,

In Germany all jobs have fixed salaries. So I don't know if you could ask for any. But I am certain you might get something around that amount.

In Germany it is PAYE tax system. You medical Insurance and social security insurances will be taken away from your salary. Working in Germany you must be falling under normal taxation system.

Eventuallaly, you may be able to claim a housing allowance if your salary does not leave reasonable amount of money for living.

An assessment will be made based on your salary. Education for your children is free upto University Entrance.

If you get the job you will be ok. Don't worry.
  • Amol
    Amol
    04.07.12 04:42 PM
    Thanks Rajpriya!

A simple vegetarian life.
    Summaries: House rent: E 600
    Maintenance: E 200
    Grocery: E 500 (aprox)
    Education: E 400 (2 kids)
    Travel: E 100
    Insurance: E 50
    Medical: E 100
    Clothes: E 200
    Other: E 200

So shall I ask for Euro 2500 net (without tax). They may b able to offer E 2,000

Pls guide
    04.07.12 02:33 PM
    @Admin,

Das war großartig und wunderbar. Gut gemacht, Vielen Dank.
    04.07.12 12:35 PM
    @Amol,

Cost of living in Bonn? Will largely depend on how lavish you are. You have to pay for Heating, Water, Electricity, Winter clothing for all of you, and Garbage collection.
    04.07.12 12:06 PM
    @Amol,

In fact Bonn was the former capital of Germany. From the time the city of Berlin was made the capital of Germany after the reunification of the East and West in the early 90’s housing has become a slightly cheaper, mainly because all the diplomats and employees of embassies moved away to Berlin.

The link above will give you an idea of the area in Bonn,- No. Of rooms - living area in sq. meters and the price respectively. The prices given are exclusive of water, electricity and garbage collection and VAT adding another 200 Euros.

I have no idea what salary your particular job might give you to be very frank. Once you get your residence and work permit you are entitled apply for children’s allowance once you become a tax payer in Germany and here is an info link:

Wish you all the Best of luck.
  • Amol
    Amol
    04.07.12 11:32 AM
    Rajpriya,

Greetings!

I'm applying for post of Communication Coordinator with IFOAM to be based in Bonn. Please guide me:
    1. What will be cost of leaving in Bonn for me with my wife (home maker) and two kids?
    2. What salary expectation will be ideal?

Pls support with your inputs.

Best Regards.

Amol
    04.07.12 08:17 AM
    @Pradeepnanda,

Enter “Racism in Germany” to make a Google search to read all answers. There are groups of people called the Skinheads, Neo Nazis and Hell’s Angels.

But the German law keeps them under control. Even conservative German people do exist who may not openly show their dissent towards colored foreigners but one can easily read it on their face. If one knows how to look the other way you could laugh your way through. Racism in Germany has never bothered me.

If you think of it, there are enough Indians who are against white people. It’s similar to a bunch of schoolboys harassing girls who happen to pass them. If you are in the majority with racial thinking you go about teasing a minority group.

There are Indian men married to German women. Many German men marrying South East Asian women is a trend now.

Personally I don’t think you should worry about studying in Germany. Is there any place on this earth where there is no racism?
  • pradeepnanda
    pradeepnanda
    04.07.12 02:23 AM
    i m planning to do MS in germany , is ther any racism towards Indians in germany???
    17.05.12 02:12 PM
    Hi Nilay,

Ich weiß nicht, ob das Diplom Sie haben von Kalkutta in Deutschland anerkannt würde. Trotzdem ist es wichtig, ein Jobangebot, eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis mit Arbeitgenehmigung in Deutschland zu erhalten. Aber ab 50 Jahren kann man nicht eine ausreichende Rente bekommen mit denen Sie bequem leben können.

Ich kann Sie keinen Job finden. Ich bin auch kein Arbeitvermittler. Ich kann nicht sagen, welche Art von Arbeit Sie mit Ihren Qualifikationen finden können. Sie müssen einen Weg finden, Arbeitsplätze in Deutschland zu beantragen und dann die notwendigen Papiere beantragen. Der einzige Weg für Sie übrig bleibt.
    Es tut mir Leid.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

• Nilay Bhattacharya
    Nilay Bhattacharya
    17.05.12 01:40 PM
    Hi Raj,

Ich woolte Sie informieren das ich bin Eine Machinenbauingenieure von Kalkutta(Diploma)und habeIch auch Industrial Management Kurs abgeschlossen fuer 2 Jahriges studuim in england. Danach habe ich eine Reintregration Mngement Training in Riedenburg/deutshland absolviert als stipendiate von Bundes Regierung.Ich habe auch eine IT kurs in Kolkata gemcht in 2001.
    So weit ich weiss in BRD Renten Alt ist 65 und deshalb dachte ich fuer eine neue Anfang in BRD mit Blaue Karte.

Ich bedanke mich fuer Ihr Bemuehengen und Raten,

mit freundlichem gruessen
    Nilay
    17.05.12 01:16 PM
    @Payal,
    Just a while ago I received some information about the van der Elst Visas. Here is the link in English and it is comprehensive in detail and give you some hope..

Wish you all the luck and hope you succeed coming over with your husband.
  • Payal
    Payal
    17.05.12 12:49 PM
    Unfortunately no and it's their first time too. Infact that's the reason I was searching for more info online. My husband has already mailed at the id provided by you, just awaiting answer from them now(hope they are quick). Lets see. Anyways, thanks for all the help Rajpriya. And do let me know if you have any clue on what Germany van der Elst visas are meant for and for how long are these visas valid?
    17.05.12 05:57 AM
    @Payal,

A Residence Permit with permission to work in Germany comes first as far as the German Govt. is concerned. When you say you are getting a job through inter company hiring the company offering you the job should know the procedure.

Or else go to the German Embassy in Bratislava
    Hviezdoslavovo nám. 10
    813 03, Bratislava Slovakia

or write an email to:
    public@germanembassy.sk
  • Payal
    Payal
    17.05.12 12:29 AM
    And I am aware of all the stuff you mentioned about if one works in one EU country he will not be issued any work permit to work in another EU country and thats the reason i asked you for work permit application process comes first or residence permit. I think u didnt understand my question well :-)
  • Payal
    Payal
    17.05.12 12:25 AM
    Me & my husband are working in Slovakia and getting a job in Germany through inter company hiring. Now the same question, do you know what comes first, Work Permit or Residence Permit?? Also when I was browsing through google I found something like Germany van der Elst visas. Do you have any idea about this??
    16.05.12 10:46 PM
    @Payal,

One more thing needs clarification. You have moved into a country that belongs to the European Union. I think the country is not Germany. Only those people who are Citizens of one EU country can go to another EU country to work.

Because you say the Google translator does not do a good job translating German websites I presume you and husband don't know the German language and you are certainly not in Germany.

If you were in Germany you could go to the "Ausländeramt" (Foreign Office) in the area where you live in, to apply for your Residence Permit instead of going to a website.

As long as you hold an Indian Passport or any other country that does not belong to the EU you are not a citizen of the EU and therefore while living in one EU country you will not be issued any work permit to work in another EU country.

The Residence Permit is issued only for the country that issued it and it is not for the whole of the European Union countries.

Unless you have a German Residence Visa with an endorsement that you can take up employment you can not get a work permit to work in Germany.

It may seem messy to you but if these regulations were not in place there will be heavy human trafficking within the EU.

There was a time when people came in to the EU as refugees and applied for Asylum in one country then moved to another and applied for Asylum there as well.
    16.05.12 07:53 PM
    @Payal,

Let me ask you a few questions before I could give the correct answer.

1. In which country in the EU are you living at present?

2. On what type of Visa did you enter the country in which you are now?

3. On what basis were you granted a visa and to reside in that country?

4. For example if you have a Residence permit to Holland you will not get a permit to work in Germany though your movement between the two countries will not be restricted because you posses a Schengen States visa.

5. You cannot posses a Residence Permit to Holland and work in Germany.

6. You can only enter Germany with a residence permit issued by the embassy from your own country that endorses permission to find employment on your passport.

7. I do not know what type of entry visa you was granted and to what country.

8. If you are living in Germany you need an "Arbeitserlaubnis” to be able to work.

9. If you are working with out the “Arbeitserlaubnis” you are working illegally.

10. Only with an “Arbeitserlaubnis” you are medically insured with “gesetzliche Krankenversicherung” The statutory health insurance of Germany.

11. If you are not, then you have to insure yourself privately, which you may not be able to afford.

12. Is your husband living with you in the EU country?

13. To work in Germany you have to have Residence Permit to live Germany.

So if you give me answers to all the above I can tell you what your problem is.
  • Payal
    Payal
    16.05.12 05:42 PM
    Hi,
    I have been searching on google on how to attain work permit when you have the job offer with you already but things look messy to me, may be because google translator doesnt do good job on german sites:-(. Found few enthusiastic people here and though it would be useful to post my query here.
    We are Indians staying in EU already and working on Residence Permit and my husband is getting an opportunity to work in germany through inter company hiring. When I searched online for what might be the further steps to legal formalities, I found it confusing that we need to apply for residence permit first and then then work permit??? Found it strange coz when we moved to EU, we found the job first, got the work permit and consequently applied for Residence Permit. Can you pls clarify the process to me if you know about it.It would be of great help to me and my husband.
    15.05.12 09:30 PM
    @Aniket,

I have to make one point very clear to everyone who wants to know about his chances of working in Germany. Please understand that I am in no way an expert on the German Job Market. When I am posed with questions like: would I be able to get a job in Germany after completing studies, I will not be able predict your chances. Your chances depend on yourself. I can only say try your luck.

I posted the article that appeared in the local newspaper about the shortage of engineers and that the doors were being opened to citizens from Non-EU countries but not necessarily to Indians alone. There will be Chinese, Japanese and people from many countries wanting to come over.

I have given enough general information on the many aspects from Studying, Migrating to, Living and Working in Germany. Using Google you could find most of the information.
  • Aniket
    Aniket
    15.05.12 03:53 PM
    Hi,
    I am planning to pursue MS in Computer Science from Germany. I have started with the applications towards the same as well. I want to know the exact situation w.r.t computer science studies in universities like Munich, Augsburg, Heilbronn etc. Also the most important dilemma in my mind is regarding the job prospects in germany in IT after completion on masters in CS. I would be very thankful if you can provide me some information regarding the above doubt.

Background:
    B.E computer Engg
    University of Mumbai
    67.22% aggregate
    2 years experience at Infosys

Thanks,
    Aniket
    15.05.12 08:48 AM
    @Akash

First of all, if you have found courses offered in the English medium you need not have to follow any German language course before you are in Germany. The simple reason is that the course offered by Goethe institute can be expensive. If you can afford it then I would say why not.

On the subject of your education being funded in Germany drop the following text in Google “Financial help for foreign Students in Germany” you will find enough and more information and much more than I can ever put to gether.

In the same way use Google with “toefl score requirement for Germany” you will have all the information you need.

Any one following full time education is allowed to work for 20 hours a week. Finding work depends on: in which city you are and what kind of work you are prepared to do.

The question of scope after Masters has been answered too. You will have 18 months to find a job. If you are following your studies in the English medium you could follow a German language course while you are in Germany. However, if you have to do your Masters in the German Language it will absolutely essential to understand the language in which you are taught.

Occasionally, I watch Bollywood movies, since I do not speak nor understand Hindi I laugh when the person seated next to me laughs and cry when this person cries and the actual reason I would never know. So much for ignorance.

Having said that, the lyrics of "Roop thera Mustana" from the movie Aaradhana is child's play for me though I could not tell you what they mean.

Knowledge of the German language will always be an advantage if you decide to find a job and live here. Is there a TV program “DW” Deutsche Welle in India? If you follow this while learning German you can get an idea of the correct pronunciations.
  • Akash
    Akash
    15.05.12 12:35 AM
    Hii Rajpriya,

I am a B.Tech in Electronics and Telecommunication (2009). Till then I have been working with a leading IT consulting company. Now I want to pursue my Masters from abroad. Lately I am thinking of doing it from Germany. I have found some course in Electrical & Information Technology where medium is English. And I am also going to take a basic course in German from Goeth Inst in Kolkata.
    Now my question is ... Do I have any chance of getting any kind of funding. The institutes dat I have selected need TOEFL score...If I plan to take admission on 2013 then what is the best time for me to take the TOEFL and start applying. Provided I have funding for 1 year.. is it possible to work and manage for the 2nd year... And what is the scope of Job after masters.
    Or will it be a good idea to first enroll in a College for german language for a few months then go for the Masters. It will be a great hlp...if u throw some light.
    Thanks..
  • Avneet
    Avneet
    11.05.12 11:35 PM
    Thanks Raj.
    11.05.12 10:00 PM
    Es ist schwierig, Arbeitsplätze aufgrund des Alters zu finden. Um eine Arbeitserlaubnis zu erhalten müssen Sie einen Arbeitgeber finden, der Ihnen einen Job gibt.

Ich weiß wirklich nicht, wie man Ihnen helfen kann. Ich wünschte, ich könnte. Wissend, dass die Deutsche Sprachkenntnisse allein reicht nicht eine Job zu finden.
  • Nilay Bhattacharya
    Nilay Bhattacharya
    11.05.12 09:29 PM
    Hi Raj,

Vielen Danke fuer Ihr Antwort.nun damals Als PRAKTIKANT hatte ich viel die Gelegenheit in 3 versch Firmen zu Arbeiten und wegen Familien Probleme musste ich zurueckkheren.

Aber mit meine deutschekenntnisse ist es Ueberhaupt nicht moeglich etwas Richtiges zu finden. Ich have sogar eine Management Kurs gemacht als stipendierete vo Bundes Regierung.

werde mich froehen wenn sie weiter Hinweisse geben konnten,
    mit freundlichem gruessen
    nilay
  • The NRI
    The NRI
    11.05.12 03:34 PM
    @Sandeep et al

This article was never meant to create a platform for a German job forum. However, one of our readers (Rajpriya) has taken it upon himself, without any prompting from The NRI, to kindly assist some of the readers in pursuing a career / life in Germany. If he continues providing this voluntary service it will be out of the goodness of his heart. For anyone needing help I would request the following.

1. You do not ask obvious questions, e.g. how do I apply for a work permit, that can easily be researched even with a cursory search on Google. I would have thought that the basic qualification for any job is a sense of initiative. For someone with a doctorate this should have been obvious and your first port of call, and perhaps you could have asked a follow up question had you run into problems.
    2. You must take the time to read through all previous comments to determine whether your query has already been addressed.

Any comments that do not meet the above criteria will simply be deleted.
    11.05.12 12:56 PM
    @Avneet,

Sorry I missed answering you. Use this link to get information ref. all German Universities.

11.05.12 12:48 PM
    Hi Sandeep,

The higher you are qualified better are the chances provided you find vacancies in the particular field you want to work for. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to find the exact jobs or the vacancies that would suit you or anyone else.

The best way is to Google search with different combinations of words pointing to the type of jobs you are looking for. However I must emphasize that to get into specialized jobs you would need an excellent command of the German Language.

Opportunities to get jobs to work in English might not be that easy. It is not possible to settle down in Germany based on qualifications.

Getting employment is the one and only way.

All the Best
  • sandeep chaudhary
    sandeep chaudhary
    11.05.12 11:14 AM
    Thanks ! Raj,

Please let me knw,
    Is Ph.D. provide extra value to settle down in Germany / How we can search job on the basis of our qualification
    11.05.12 10:43 AM
    Hi Sandeep,

I am really sorry I missed your postings. Of course any one can stand a chance of coming to Germany based on their qualifications. You and your wife seem to have those.

If you go through some of the answers I have given earlier on similar questions on NRI you will find most answers. That would avoid repetition of the similar information.

If you look at the link I had given for “IT Specialist “ above you will know Germany is relaxing regulations for Non-EU citizens to obtain employment. In addition to all the previous link here is new one for all the information you may require.

If you need any information you can not find on this link please post your need.

• sandeep chaudhary
    sandeep chaudhary
    11.05.12 10:10 AM
    Hi RajPriya,

I've posted many times, but did not get response frm ur side, Please let me knw d procedure for work permit/ Pr of Germany as I have 3+ yrs of Exp. as a Soft engg and i have done M.Techin CSE, and my wife is pursuing Ph.D. in Education that is abt to complete.
    so Please provide me info to settle down in Germany on the basis of details provided above.
    On the basis of Ph.D. , Is it possible to settle down in Germany.
    Thanks,
    Sandeep
    11.05.12 09:27 AM
    @Sumit,

Yes I know. Having lived here for so long giving information is not a problem. I came over to Germany in those days when there was no Internet, and little knowledge of the language and the country. I know exactly how difficult it was to get any information.

Today it’s quite different. Communication beyond borders has become so easy. It does not cost me anything to give any one, any information I already know or can find out effortlessly.

Coming to the information you need, I would advice you to stay in a cheap hotel at least for a week and look for an apartment yourself with facilities you may require. Magdeburg is in the Eastern part of Germany and the closest West German city is Wolfsburg where the Volkswagen cars are produced. The other closest West German cities are Hannover and Braunschweig has a famous university.

Though East and West Germany are unified since 1989 the hotel prices are still cheaper in the eastern sector. I have given a link to all hotels in Magdeburg that help you chose one with facilities you need and the price range. Most hotels provide Wi-Fi.

If you need any further information please let me know. It doesn’t cost me anything to pass on information and I would be pleased to tell you what I know and those I can easily find out.

Wish you all the best.
  • Sumit
    Sumit
    11.05.12 06:06 AM
    Hello Rajpriya,

First of all I must say that you are doing a tremendous job by sharing all this information. Keep it up. I hope it's not a whole lot of trouble for you.

I am planning to move to Germany from US in about 3 months time. I was wondering what is the best way to remotely look for an apartment. I am moving to Magdeburg and have taken a job as a research associate
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sumit
    11.05.12 12:20 AM
    @Nilay,

I would say taking your age it might be fairly difficult to get a work permit. Most companies look for people around 25 years to 40 years of age. To do translations there are plenty of people. It is not a profession as such where you might not find any vacancies.

I am wondering why you left after six years of being in Germany. “Praktikants” as you know are young people who come from “Realschule” or “Hochschlue” to get a taste of any job they might want to pursue after leaving school.

You say you have worked, as a "Praktikant" in a few Engineering companies and that is not normal. There is a distinguished difference between a “Praktikant” and a “Lehrling who is taken as an Apprentice to learn a profession and at the end 3 years he can work in that profession as a qualified person. I am certain you are aware of these facts.

Warum hast du kein Lehre gemacht? Dinge hätte anders sein können.

All “Praktikants” are made to do a peons' job most of the time and paid little money. You don't get any “qualification” certificates at the end. May be a "Zeugnis" testimony how you fared as a “Praktikant”.

If there is an "Arbeitgeber" and if it is a job that cannot be performed by a German and the Arbeitgeber desperately needs some one with your experience you might stand a chance but that seems a rare thing.

I hope I have explained fairly clearly.
  • Nilay Bhattacharya
    Nilay Bhattacharya
    10.05.12 10:53 PM
    Hi Rajpriya,

I am 59 years and fluent in German Language.I lived once app 6 years in Germany and worked as PRAKTIKANT in few Engineering Concerns.Did many Technical Translations from German-English and German.
    Can I get an working permit and staying permit now . I also have basic knowledge of Computers.
    Please reply.
    With warm regards
    Nilay Bhattacharya
    08.05.12 09:44 PM
    @ITspecialist,

Correction:

Even if you speak broken German don’t stop until you improve and it won't be long before start Deutsch Blah! Blah.
    08.05.12 09:41 PM
    @ ITspecialist,

1) Yes! You will be permitted to stay for 18 months to find a job.

2) As long as there is some one to offer you a job, the person employing will do the needful. If you find a job the rest is easy.

3) Only your future employer can assess your command of the German language.

4) Your experience will certainly count when it comes finding employment.

5) While you are in Germany usually all Germans will try to speak to you in English. Please avoid this. Even if speak you broken German don’t stop until you improve.

6) Go to a pub in the evenings after a few glasses of German beer you will get over you shyness and may start talking fluent German.

7) In my case it worked. I learnt most of my German from the Bild newspaper and in pubs and of course TV.

Best of luck.
    08.05.12 09:19 PM
    @ITspecialist,

Yes! According to news about new regulations waiting to be passed you will be allowed to stay on after your studies for one and half years (18 months) to find a job.

In the one and half years you may be able acquire working knowledge of the Language depending how much you engage yourself in learning German. It is easier to learn German while you are in Germany.

Try to avoid talking in English as much as possible.

Finding a job depends on your own capabilities in the field you are and how you convince your employers that you can do your job to their satisfaction.

Yes! Your experience is an important factor and it certainly will help you find a job.

Wish you all the best of luck. I will be happy to hear how you progress.

• ITspecialist
    ITspecialist
    08.05.12 08:18 PM
    Hello Raj,

I have 4+ years of experience in IT field in the area of datawarehousing. I am an engineering graduate and now planning to take up a specialised MSc degree from SRH University of Applied Sciences Heidelberg. The duration of the course is 1.5 years. I have few queries in this regard.

1) Am i permitted to stay after my studies to find a job?
    2)As a foreign national how easy is it find a job with workpermit sponsor once i complete my studies given an average command over german language.
    3) would my experience count while i search for the job there. My experience is highly relevant to the course i am planning to take?

Please throw some light here. Thanks in advance.
    08.05.12 02:35 AM
    @Akshay,

To get a job to manage Sales & Marketing in Germany you certainly would need excellent fluency in the German Language. I would say the Goethe Institute would be a good place to learn the basic German.

Having said that I would also add that the grammatical fluency required for working in the IT sector would be quite different. I do not wish to scare you nor do I intend to discourage you. Learning the language is easier if you are in the country. Knowing the language is certainly an added advantage no doubt.

In managerial positions you would need to organize and conduct sales meetings, communicate flawlessly and fluently in writing to delegate work.

I have posted some links to find jobs in Germany. In some companies they employ people who speak English. It is fairly difficult to penetrate into the German market because Germany is a country that produces lots of goods for the IT sector.

Were you able to succeed to penetrate into the German Market with Indian products? Every year I visit the CEBIT Messe (Exhibition) in Hannover. I see a quite a few Indian companies being represented there.
    I stop and chat to them because they are from India. How far they were able to promote their products I can not say.

Most of them give their visiting cards but unfortunately I have not been able to keep in touch with any of them.

Finally you must keep trying and if you make it here you won’t regret. I belong to the Advertising, Graphic Design for Packaging and Digital Printing sector that involves Offset, Flexo, Gravure and Screen-printing. I have little knowledge what kind of jobs you can find here except giving you some links where you have to apply your self.

The IT branch is too extensive and depends on what kind of qualifications and experience a prospective employer is looking for.
    Nevertheless, wish all the success and luck.
  • Akshay
    Akshay
    07.05.12 11:39 PM
    Hello Raj,

My name is Akshay, I am 30 years old from Bangalore.

I am an Electrical Engineer by qualification with about 6 + years of Sales & Marketing operations experience in the IT/Technology industry.

I have done my Engineering from REC, Warangal (Now called as NIT, Warangal)

I have a good experience in driving & managing sales & marketing programs across global IT markets like the USA & Europe. I have a good comprehensive understanding of IT & Telecom markets in EU & America and have experience in handling business & key accounts in Germany. Almost all my experience has been supporting back-end operational & techno-marketing functional roles for Indian IT companies trying to penetrate the German & EU markets.

I am thinking of exploring Germany as a possible work destination. I am not sure with my experience & background, what kind of job opportunities I can seek.

I am also keen to enroll for a German language course in Goethe Institut in Bangalore.

Can you please advise, if this is a wise decision ? What are the prospects of being employed with my experience ?

Your assistance in this regard will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,
    Akshay
    06.05.12 10:42 PM
    @Raj,

try this Link.

06.05.12 10:09 PM
    @Raj,

I just clicked and it opened at once. Have you disabled cookies?

Or search "IT Jobs in Germany" on Google you will find many links.
  • Raj
    Raj
    06.05.12 09:12 PM
    Thanks RajPriya for your quick response, however, I could not open the link you suggested. I got error "You don't have permission to access /jobs/ on this server" when I clicked the below link

Regards,
    Raj
    06.05.12 06:11 PM
  • Raj
    Raj
    06.05.12 03:21 PM
    I have 14 years of experience in IT industry and currently working in India as a Project Manager in MNC. I would like to know will there be any opportun ity for me to get a job in Germant in same field in management ? I had been to Germany twice in 2008 and liked the place. what are the chances of an experienced IT person to get a job in Germany. I have done master in computer science and PMP certified.

Regards,
    Raj
  • Avneet
    Avneet
    04.05.12 11:37 PM
    Hi,

I am Avneet. I am doing B.E in Mechanical Engineering with about 65% which is due to complete in June 2012. i have 84% in 10th and 70 % in +2.

I wish to Pursue MS(Mechanical/Automotive/Production) further from Germany. I am going to start German Language course alongside other requirements Of GRE/Ielts.

Can you recommend/help me with some Universities that i am eligible of. I am trying for Spring 2013 Session.

Thanks in Advance
    03.05.12 02:39 PM
    @Aaron,

Make a google search with "Electronic and Instrumentation Engineering job vacancies in Germany". You will be surprised about the opportunities that are available.

Send applications to the ones you think would suit you. Herzlichen Glueckwunsch.

When you find one let me know.

• Aaron
    Aaron
    03.05.12 05:51 AM
    any idea as to how are the job opportunities for an electronics and instrumentation engineering graduate (fresher)?
    Thanks in advance!
    01.05.12 11:32 PM
    @Amol,

It would really be nice and easy if people are allowed to use translation tools while being employed in German companies but for all practical purposes that could not be done

I visit German customer sites to sort out problems. When you are seated in front of 15 people and you are questioned you won't be using language translation tools to answer them.

It just happened I was at home off from work for a few days. The reason I was responding quickly. It may be different from tomorrow having to go back to work.

Anyway will keep in touch.

• Amol
    Amol
    01.05.12 11:12 PM
    Rajapriya!

Thanks for the quick and valuable inputs.

1. Thanks for openness to explore possibilities for me. Not only Organic farming but pls support with your valuable inputs in Organic wholesaling, Organic retailing- which are my key strength and 10+ years of experience. Organic promotion (NGOs) is also one more area of interest.
    2. I'm putting my BEST efforts and contacting all possible options. Your support will be cream on the cake.
    3. It's pleasing to know you also started your journey with NO GERMAN way. These days are far better than 1974. At least we do language translation tools handy.

Thanking you again.

Organically....

Amol
    01.05.12 10:52 PM
    @Amol,
    The language could be the biggest barrier to get employed in Germany particularly in farming. As I before all agricultural farms small, medium and large are privately owned and only by Germans. All employment opportunities are open mostly to Germans only.

However please don't give up. Keep trying. If I come across any information that may seem suitable f or you I certainly would pass it on to you.

To tell you the truth when I first came to Germany in 1974 I did not know the German language. When I was offered employed my employer said I could learn it at my own pace.

During that time there were more employment opportunities.

Wish you some luck anyway.

• Amol
    Amol
    01.05.12 09:15 PM
    Rajpriya!

Extremely thankful for sharing the information and labour taken to guide me.

1. How to get process running? To be honest with you I'll not be in position to come there and find a job. So trying my level BEST to find jobs there from here.
    2. I may be suitable candidate for Organic farming, international trade, NGOs, Retail management etc. in Organic industry. So for me I find it's wide scope. What you feel?
    3. I already started contacted few. But it seems that as I'm not German speaking person they're not considering my candidature for any job. To quote an example- Alnatura- one of the largest Organic retailer in Germany replied that company being with 100% German speaking culture they would not consider my candidature. Please guide how to tackle this issues.

Thanking you a lot again.

Amol
    30.04.12 08:37 PM
    @Amol,

Here is a link and there isa contact information on it. Try it.

30.04.12 08:31 PM
    @Amol,

The news about letting Non EU residents was published in the news papers only two days ago. May be the reason for not responding to your earlier post. Sorry about that.

I am certain you will find an opportunity to work n Germany. I really do not know much about this subject to be very frank. Google search might give some results.

Mostly farms are privately owned in Germany and you may come across some opening. Germany is a great country if you could find a job.

I sure will inform you when I know more about this industry. Wish you all the best of luck.

• Amol
    Amol
    30.04.12 07:28 PM
    Hi Rajpriya!

Seems you missed my earlier post. Reposting it for your ready reference and awaits your valuable feedback.

I’m based in India and have experienced in Organic (bio in German) industry for more than 10 years now. Starting from farming to selling Organics (b2c and b2b) enriched my portfolio. M.sc. (in Agriculture) with MBA in Marketing is educational back up. German knowledge- nil at this moment.
    Family: Wife, a son and a daughter.

Germany being global hub for Organics I would love to work their to enrich my experience and contribute to fullest of my potential.
    Thus I’m exploring possibilities to opt some opportunities to work in some good NGOs (like IFOAM) or businesses in Germany. Can you please suggest how to move ahead?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards.

Amol
    30.04.12 07:09 PM
    Here is the link to the news for people from Non EU countries who want to migrate to Germany for employment.

Remember the German Govt. does offer this facility only to Indian citizens meaning anyone from a country outside the European Union can apply for jobs.

So the sooner you act the sooner you may have a chance.

30.04.12 07:01 PM
    Hi Asif,

Yes, you can apply from there. The chances are less since they can not interview you personally. However, I would say there is no harm trying. There are jobs where you can work in English language. Apply to private companies.

I have posted some links earlier if you scroll back. Wish you all the best.

• Asif
    Asif
    30.04.12 06:22 PM
    hi...am an engineering graduate wishing to work in Germany. Can we apply for jobs in Germany through jobsites.? Can we get one by applying while in India? Or do we need to go in visiting visaand try for jobs. Am presently working here with TCS and not in situation for leave. Can i apply for a job from here? please reply.
    30.04.12 01:05 AM
    @Rohith,

Correction: Though I may not be able to find jobs for you, I may be able to assist you in many other preparations if you find jobs and finally settle down here. Same if you want to study here.
    30.04.12 01:00 AM
    @Rohith,

Your dream can come true according news published in the German newspapers a few days ago. There is a discussion in the German Bundestag (Parliament) about filling shortages of Highly Qualified Engineers from NON EU countries. Laws are are supposed to be passed soon easing migration rules for qualified people.

They are to issue Blue Cards to qualified people for three years first, if you can find jobs after which period they will be allowed to stay permanently with their families here.

With sufficient working knowledge in the German language the permission may granted in two years. There is a plan to give a six months' visa to interested people to come to Germany to find jobs.

Further if you were to complete your study in a German university you are to be given permission to stay for one and a half more years to find a job.

Things are changing favorable for people wanting jobs in Germany. I will post any news here time and again here. Though I may not be find jobs for you I may be able to assist in many other preparations if you find jobs.

I have posted some information about studying in Germany under this post. Please look at some earlier comments.

• ROHITH
    ROHITH
    29.04.12 11:42 PM
    i am a mechanical engineer working in the middle east for 2 years in pipeline field. my dream to to work and migrate to Germany. i also want to do my MBA in Germany. what are the procedures and how can i make my dream come true some body please respond to this
  • Amol
    Amol
    31.03.12 06:15 PM
    Hi Sreesha!

A nice post.

I'm based in India and have experienced in Organic (bio in German) industry for more than 10 years now. Starting from farming to selling Organics (b2c and b2b) enriched my portfolio. M.sc. (in Agriculture) with MBA in Marketing is educational back up. German knowledge- nil at this moment.
    Family: Wife, a son and a daughter.

Thus I'm exploring possibilities to opt some opportunities to work in some good NGOs (like IFOAM) or businesses in Germany. Can you please suggest how to move ahead?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards.

Amol
  • sonum
    sonum
    07.03.12 04:29 PM
    hello
    i want to know about P.R possibilities in germany after the completion of masters degree. i am planning to apply for masters in biomedical engineering , as i had completed my graduation in same field. please tell is it would be beneficial and easy to settle in germany for me.
    thanking you
    06.02.12 02:35 PM
    @Jobs

Since you are MSc in Chemistry already you may be lucky to find a possibility to work in one of the departments of the University. It all depends on the University where you want follow your course of studies.

In large cities like Berlin or Munich you may be able find jobs outside the university but then a proficiency in the German language may be essential. First make a choice of your university. Then I could find the possibilities of a job.

It is always better to be prepared to survive without a job at least for a few months so that you don’t get desperate for money as soon as you are here..

You can follow the link below to decide in which university you want gain admission to follow your MS in Chemistry in Germany in the English Language and then apply for admission.

Wish you all the best.

• Jobs
    Jobs
    06.02.12 11:22 AM
    Hi Rajpriya,I am MSc Chemistry and I have 6 years experience in Synthetic Organic Chemistry(Medicinal Chemistry).I am planning to do a MS in Chemistry in Germany.I want to do part time job to assist my living expenditure.is it possible to get part-time job there? Any type of part-time jobs are welcome.
  • sam
    sam
    03.02.12 09:56 PM
    gtoosphere, may I know what do you mean rural Tamil Nadu?
    19.01.12 04:45 PM
    @Siddhartha

Try the following website.http://jobs.phds.org/engineering/in-germany?country=81&location=Germany

Although some of these jobs are based in Berlin, the business language is English, so the ability to speak German is not at all necessary.

19.01.12 04:18 PM
  • Akheel Ahmed
    Akheel Ahmed
    19.01.12 12:14 PM
    Hey, i'm B.E(CSE) fresher looking a job in Germany. Can anyone help me. My mail id is s akheelahmedi5253@gmail.com
    15.01.12 08:34 PM
    @Ankit,
    To be very honest vacation jobs are non-existent for foreigners in Germany. No German embassy will issue visas to any one wanting go to Germany to find any vacation job. The vacation periods are not unified in the 16 German states. If you follow the link at the bottom you will see this.

Moreover, the education system differs very much to that of many Asian countries. It depends on whether there is some employer who will offer you a vacation job based on your Indian qualification. Then comes the question of your ability to read, write and speak German fluently to work in Germany.

However, to find out the truth you could do a Google search for a vacation job in Germany. If you could find one, then your employer who offers you a vacation job will send you a Sponsor letter which would enable you apply for the German Visa in the embassy in your country.

If someone offers you job that may be because they can’t find a German who could do the same job. In the meanwhile if there is a possibility I will post a message here once again.

Most working parents in Germany take their vacation during school holidays so that they can take their children on holiday with them.

• Ankit
    Ankit
    15.01.12 05:55 PM
    Hi Rajpriya. I am a b.com gratduate.
    I want to know is there any kind of vacation jobs for students in germany. If yes how to apply for job and visa.
    Thank You.
    13.01.12 09:38 AM
    @Siddhartha

If you read all the info I put in above you will find all the answers.

Good luck.
  • Siddhartha
    Siddhartha
    12.01.12 10:14 PM
    I want to work in Germany as a Software Eng. But i really dont have any knowledge how to get in.
    Is there any agency whom i need to approach.
    Where should i start from?
  • PARAMJEET SINGH
    PARAMJEET SINGH
    27.12.11 10:32 PM
    working wth reliance securities ltd. want german immigration
    25.12.11 09:07 AM
    @rajendra das

and

@ Sarath RJ.

Anyone needing a job in Germany doesn’t need to give details of qualifications on NRI. Your qualifications are what you have achieved. Your prospective employers will not be looking into NRI to offer you any job.

If you follow the link to the website in my earlier info above you will find all what you need to do to look for employment in Germany. It is a lengthy process that starts with your written application, job availability, your suitability, your experience apart from your academic credentials and finally an interview, a work permit and residence visa.

It's a long way

Trotzdem Viel Glück und Erfolg in ihre Jobsuche. Means Nevertheless lots of luck and success in your job search.
    25.12.11 02:55 AM
    @rajendra das

and

@ Sarath RJ.

Visit this website for comprehensive information on how to find employment in Germany.

• Sarath R.J
    Sarath R.J
    24.12.11 11:03 PM
    Hi,

I’m MSc ComputerScience, i have 1 year of IT (Software Developer) exp now working in Technopark,Kerala. I’m pretty much interested to have good job in Germany. I would like to know the VISA and job searching process…
  • rajendra das
    rajendra das
    10.12.11 01:01 PM
    Hi,can anyone pls let me know the job opportunities for mechanical engg.
    I am planning for my PG in Germany,so pls let me know the facilities/opportunities for job over there!!
    09.12.11 11:21 AM
    Here is a near perfect place for job hunters in the IT branch and of course in English.

Viel Glück und Erfolg auf Jobsuche.

09.12.11 11:11 AM
    @Deviprasad'

Correction: please read as:

1. To get any kind of job, your proficiency in the German language is the most Important step.

2. Preference is always to a German even though he may be a little lesser qualified than you but Ssshhhhhh. This is a state secret not to divulged in public.

3. Tipping off an on coming vehicle of hidden police radar control by flashing your lights is a punishable offense in Germany.

Driving in the wrong direction on an Autobahn (Motorway- Keep right in Germany) can have serious repercussions like cars at speeds of nearly 200 KPH hitting you and YOUR being labelled as Geisterfahrer. Ghost Driver.
    09.12.11 09:54 AM
    @Sreesha
    I hope you won’t mind my answering the questions people ask you.

@Deviprasad
    Here is a site that should give comprehensive information in English about the German Taxation system.
    It can be anything between 14% to 45% of your income. Higher the income, higher will e the taxes. Refer link.

To live and be employed in Germany the Medical Insurance is the most important necessity next to having a roof over your head. Nothing comes free in Germany if you are not employed. If you are accepted as a refugee is first step to getting state help.

You and your Employer contribute collectively towards your Social, Medical, Pension and unemployment benefit Insurances. You are exempted from Church Tax if you are non-Catholic.

As a married person you move into a different tax bracket or in other words pay less taxes than your unmarried counterparts. If you have children under 18 yrs of age you will be granted a monthly sum each for their welfare once you are granted residential status in Germany.

The Govt. does not pay any money to unemployed wives.

To get any kind of job your proficiency is the most Important factor. Without obtaining “Arbeitserlaubnis” meaning the “Work Permit” you can not work in Germany it is similar to the NIC in UK.

You must have employers who are willing to employ you and then apply for the work permit.

Your proficiency in the Language first, then your qualification and experience, some one who offers you a job and last the Work Permit will be the order you have to follow to get employment in Germany.

There are many Indians but Germany being quite a large country, they are scattered. However in large cities like Berlin, Münich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf you might find Indians.

In short getting job in Germany will be like: If there is no German to do what you are applying for you may get the job. Preference is always to a German even though he may a little lesser qualified than you but Ssshhhhhh.

More questions? Fire off!
    09.12.11 05:10 AM
    There were times when Germans laughed when I spoke in German

Here is something that can make you laugh when a German tries to speak English.

09.12.11 05:05 AM
    @Suman,

If you meant Walldorf here is the link. http://www.walldorf.de/2010/index.php?seite=2

Actually its part of two cities Wiesloch-Walldorf. This is where the famous Heidelberg printing machines are manufactured.

The factory itself is situated in a huge village type environment.

Its around 10 kilometers away from the city of Heidelberg. The Heidelberg Machine showrooms and the training centre are right near the Heidelberg,s main railway station.

There were professors from India once upon a time in the University of Heidelberg, Its a beautiful city with the Heidelberg Castle and surrounding mountains. There are plenty of foreign students in Heidelberg.

That's where I was offered my first job. Though I have moved up north I visit the Heidelberg Printing company at least once in two years.

The Hockenheim Ring the Formula one racing track is also in the vicinity.
    If its about Heidelberg machine factory you want to know I can tell you plenty.
    09.12.11 04:18 AM
    Hier is a link to all those want to learn German.
    Got to the bottom of the page to learn German.
    The site gives you everything you need to know about Germany.

I am surprised that Sreesha being in Germany just for one year writes perfect German.

09.12.11 04:03 AM
    Sehr geehrte Frau Sreesha Sreenivasan

Es war ein überragendes Bericht über Deutschland. Ich wohne in der nahe von Aachen NRW.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

• sashanka sinha
    sashanka sinha
    09.12.11 02:50 AM
    Hi Shreesa,

I got to say that u r doing a commendable job by giving the info to people like us who are not really aware of the ground realities. like others i need some info and help too. I wanted to know how vibrant is the media there and also are there good opportunities out there in media. wanted to pursue my Postgraduation there. would appreciate if you can contribute with some info.i have alreay finish A1 n A2 frm MMB.

Danke.
  • anu anand
    anu anand
    29.11.11 02:29 PM
    Sreesha,

I would like to know about the education of kids there? Also the climate during dec - Jan period.
  • Rajendra Raikwar
    Rajendra Raikwar
    21.11.11 04:08 PM
    hmm , nice one ..
  • sandeep
    sandeep
    15.11.11 06:17 PM
    Hi Sreesha,

I m software engg by profession and have done M.Tech(CSE) and my wife has done Ph.D. in Education and working as a Lecturer in college. I want to settle down in Germany . Will you please help me about the procedure, how i can settle down here. Plzzzz show me the way.......
  • Sreehari
    Sreehari
    15.11.11 02:00 PM
    Hi Sreesha,

Please could you help me how can i learn German lang.. as its very important for me, i want settle down here, but without language its problem..not even get job also...
  • Ganesh B Myaka
    Ganesh B Myaka
    21.10.11 08:05 PM
    I'm Commerce M.com, i have 6 years of IT (UNIX administration) exp now working in Pune, India. I'm pretty much interested to have good job in Germany. I would like to know the VISA and job searching process...
  • kannan
    kannan
    12.10.11 03:55 PM
    nice article. Do you think vegitarians will find the going tough in Germany?
  • sandeep
    sandeep
    28.07.11 06:21 PM
    HI,
    it is a nice article . Germany always attract me , but i did not aware abt the procedure for skilled worker immigration as i have good exp in IT. I have done M.Tech in Computer Engg.plz tell me how can i get the immigration / skilled worker visa on the basis of my edu. & Exp.
    Thanks,
    Sandeep
  • Vijay
    Vijay
    03.07.11 11:26 PM
    Hi,
    Your post was very useful. I am actually looking out for a detailed information on the Germany Work Permit / Residence Visa, What procedures are required ? It does talk about a Insurace Health Cover, is it similiar to an insurance coverage or a medical test to be taken... Like wise any other details, would help a lot to understand.
  • Priya
    Priya
    22.06.11 01:23 PM
    Hi Sreesha,

Liked your article very much. Very interesting. Been extremely useful to me as i am planning to study in Germany.
  • Prabhu v
    Prabhu v
    24.03.11 05:02 PM
    Hi ,

Can you please guide me to learn german .Ima from chennai, india.Since aim a beginner first i want to learn german .iam a IT person haeving 5 years experience. Please provide steps for VISA Process and Java ITJob opening in German .
    Thanks inadvance .

Prabhu V
    praabbhu@gmail.com
  • Deviprasad
    Deviprasad
    21.02.11 04:03 PM
    Hi,

I want to move to Berlin as company Transfer, I'm currently living in Finland.
    I have few questions,

1) How is social benefits? Is health care is free? Does unemployed wife will get some money from goverment or tax concession? Please send me the Benefits site.

2) Is it possible to get job in IT for 3 years exp?

3)Are there many Indian groups of socialize?
  • amit roy
    amit roy
    20.02.11 09:53 PM
    hi 2 all i read ur word but my ques is as i am planning to to masters in automobile from germany so, is jobs available after doing masters ..... plz ans
  • Krishan
    Krishan
    17.02.11 01:13 AM
    Hi Sreesha

It is a really very nice article you have written. It really opens a view to Indians to see. I was planning to open up a office in germany, basically shiftting there, I wanted an advice wheather it is a good idea or not
  • hari
    hari
    26.11.10 09:45 PM
    hi mam. ihad applied for german univ's to persue MS.i am learning german,but i feel a little bit afraid to live there.. can u give me any suggestions
  • Ansh
    Ansh
    23.11.10 06:06 PM
    Hi,
    I'm a graduate in commers and I want to work in Germany. Can you please tell me how tough or easy it would be to find a job in Germany, for a commers graduate?
    and also, Can I apply online?
  • Sreesha
    Sreesha
    18.10.10 01:02 PM
    Sumit - As you guessed, the first requirement is a fairly good command over the German language. It would not be too difficult to get a job specially since they are looking for professionals from science stream.
  • Sumit
    Sumit
    16.10.10 10:57 PM
    Hey Sreesha,

I am a PhD student (Environmental engineering) in US (University of Illinois Urbana Champaign), I came to Berlin, Germany in Sep-2010 for a conference and absolutely loved the place. Do you have any views on how tough or easy it would be to find a job in Germany, when I finish. It seems to me that the first thing I should do is to take up some German classes here at the University.

Thanks,
    Sumit
  • Sreesha
    Sreesha
    23.08.10 07:34 PM
    Ashish - Ich habe hier nur seit dem vergangenen Jahr gewohnt. Jetz habe ich keine beruflichen Verbindungen. Sie sollten den Job website wie Schot Glas/Mercedes/Opel/VW/Audi u.s.w. versuchen. Viel Gluck.
  • Ashish Bhagat
    Ashish Bhagat
    23.08.10 05:15 PM
    hi, i am a mechanical engineer and i have total 4.5 yrs experience and i am searching job in germany...
    i have already passed A1 and A2 MMB Exams from geothe inst.
  • Suman
    Suman
    17.08.10 04:20 PM
    I have been living here for the past 3 years and I quite like the place. As you wrote, the language is difficult. Nice article.
  • Sreesha
    Sreesha
    01.08.10 11:31 AM
    *Suman-Thank you, am glad you liked the article. In short, all I can tell you about Germany is that it is a very developed, organised, clean and beautiful country. I found most Germans to be very warm and receptive towards foreigners. The best website to help you is http://www.toytowngermany.com/. Hope this helps.

*Preety- I completely agree, it can be very frustrating when one is new to a country which speaks an unfamiliar language.
  • preety
    preety
    30.07.10 03:31 PM
    hey Sreesha,
    liked your artical n so true i have been here in germany for past 6 years n managed to learn just the basiscs so to speak but yeah its tough .In the beginning i also use to get so flustered when ppl didnt even speak english which happens to be globle language on that germans have to say if u live here then speak our language. n language would be one reson we would go back to india if ever we deside to .
  • Suman
    Suman
    30.07.10 11:02 AM
    Hi Sreesha,
    very nice article. can you help me knowing germany more-especially walldorf.
    Regards
    Suman
  • Sreesha
    Sreesha
    30.07.10 01:36 AM
    *Chandrima-Thank you. Also, very true -it is much easier to find temp jobs in Germany for an immigrant which is another downside. Do universities have courses in English medium here-haven't checked up on that.

*Rishi - As you said, German isn't impossible to learn. But how many skilled immigrants want to invest 2-3 years just to learn a language and then carry on with their careers thereafter?
  • Rishi B
    Rishi B
    29.07.10 01:23 PM
    it's not that hard... need a good tutor and you can pick it up ..

in about 2-3 years...

• Chandrima Pal
    Chandrima Pal
    29.07.10 04:09 AM
    This is a nice article. I have spent 8 years in Germany, and liked the country and its rules to incorporate high skilled immigrants into its systems. I was working in University and my experience have taught me that in spite of shortage of chemists or biologists in the universities, it is easier to get short term temporary positions there but for permanent faculty position, the rules are so stringent and time taking that any Indian will try their luck somewhere else. But anyway Germany is a good place for doing PhD, specially seeing the expenses and competition of getting a PhD position in USA, UK or Australia. See this article in my blog for more:http://blog-e-zine.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-get-phd-position-in-germany.html
  • Sreesha
    Sreesha
    28.07.10 11:05 PM
    Gtoosphere- Thank you for your comments. I agree with the fact we have genders for inanimate things in Hindi. This is the reason, I found it easier to learn German. My fellow classmates from other countries spent their entire time and energy on trying to question why things have gender in German!!!
  • gtoosphere
    gtoosphere
    28.07.10 01:07 PM
    Even Hindi has genders for inanimate objects, so it is not a new for Indian languages. But yeah, I agree that German grammar is difficult compared to say, French.

I spent a summer in France last year and yes, it was like being in rural Tamil Nadu (albeit with great infrastructure and awesome climate)... no one spoke anything but French.. a few people here and there managed some English!