Bangalore Police Raids Stop Dancing

Bangalore Police Raids Stop Dancing

November 18, 2011

The world's "2nd Silicon Valley" is partially living in the dark ages, with civil liberties dictated and restricted by religious groups.

Bangalore, a city known for technological advancements and recently ranked the 3rd "must visit" city in 2012 by Lonely Planet, is now also the leader in infringing on the personal rights and livelihood of its citizens. The ban on dancing is growing to outlandish proportions and the raids that started up two months ago are again in full swing.

I have seen enough in the past two months to know that things are NOT improving.  The local government is still making it almost impossible for bars and clubs outside of the 5 star hotels to obtain a license which would allow its patrons to dance.  What was once a ban on dancing to close down “girly dance bars” years ago (which many say were a front for prostitution rings) has now turned into an insane set of new rules and regulations that place Bangalore in league with countries run by religious extremists that investors and tourists try to avoid.

All of the amazing work that Bangalore has done with improving infrastructure to the point that this amazing metropolis is known as the WORLD’S 2nd Silicon Valley is now going somewhat down the drain.  How in the world will the leading tech companies who’ve settled here lure the TOP international talent to work in a backwards city with bans on western music, difficult access to booze, no dancing, and other such stringent rules? I know that India has an amazing talent pool and the country doesn’t require expats in the country but it’s a tremendous benefit for Indians working internationally to actually interact with people face-to-face who are actually from other countries.  This will become tougher and tougher as Bangalore’s new reputation starts to leak out to the mainstream international press.

I am still so surprised that the government allowed this massive revenue stream to be lost here. The number of victims of this ultra conservative regime is countless. From the state government who loses out on the (I think) 400% tax on alcohol in Bangalore, plus traditional sales and income and employment taxes, to the city governments and on down to the losses by the venue and bar owners, DJs and musicians, taxi drivers who won’t be taking people around anymore, waiters and event staff who’ll lose their jobs, etc etc.

Not to mention how bloody sad I am, of course!

There is now a ban (or it’s in process) to forbid alcohol where live music is being performed.  I read that there is a petition to ban western music.  And I also read that the raids are going to continue in light of the fact that there are so many other crimes to solve and other issues which should take precedence.

How the hell has this happened in a country that prides itself on its long history of dance and music culture?  It’s unnatural.  It’s wrong.  And it’s starting to gain international attention.  What a pity for India that Bangalore is going to shine such a negative light on the country.

AFTER YOU READ THIS please click here and take a moment to support “Save Bangalore Nightlife”.

• KC
    KC
    21.04.12 12:33 AM
    Ban on western music? Ridiculous! Where did you get this idea from? I was born in Bengalooru, I have lived 30 years of my life in this city. Western music is not banned.

"How the hell has this happened in a country that prides itself on its long history of dance and music culture? "
    We were never against dance or music. We were, we are and we will be against sleazy dances in the bar.

Did you try to find out what a BengaLoorian (someone you don't know personally or is not in your social network - coz birds of same feathers flock together) thinks about banning sleazy dances in the bar before you wrote this hilarious article? (I needed a good laugh after a hard day's work and believe me, I was rolling on the floor laughing after reading your article!).

“Save Bangalore Nightlife”? What does that mean?

When you are in Rome, do as the Romans do! When I worked in London I dressed like the English, spoke their language, accepted their culture and respected it too! It would be utterly foolish of me to expect "India" in UK - if you know what I mean. Venice is Venice because it is not Paris! You cannot expect BengaLoorians to blindly ape the west because the west thinks it is right. If you think bull-fighting is not right, try telling that to a Spaniard! I quote Peter Costello
    "If you are thinking of coming to Australia, you ought to know what Australian values are." So, it is only fair that you understand the values of this city before you vent out your anger on a publicly accessible webpage.

"that place Bangalore in league with countries run by religious extremists that investors and tourists try to avoid." I wonder how much of research has gone into this article before publishing it.

How aware are you about the political situations in countries like Afghanistan that are run by fundamentalists? If France is a democratic country why does it ban people from displaying anything that is a symbol of Religion - like wearing a hijab? Isn't that a fundamental right being denied to a citizen?

"The number of victims of this ultra conservative regime is countless." - going by this logic every country (including your motherland)should stop showing the health warning about smoking tobacco. Just imagine the number of people who would lose their means of livelihood if people stopped smoking! So what if people die of cancer by smoking? The government should not allow this massive revenue stream to be lost. Am I right?
  • Angela Carson
    Angela Carson
    17.12.11 08:41 PM
    @damon - I will email now, no problem... but my services are not cheap! Price is filet mignon and martinis at my favourite nightclub upon arrival :-)
  • Damon
    Damon
    17.12.11 08:02 PM
    Wow, I appreciate your articles. I recently moved here from Los Angeles and needless to say I understand where you're coming from. In an attempt to not piss off the locals could you shoot me an email? There's so many questions that I have and I need a SoCal point of view!

Thanks in advance,
    Damon
    Damon.a.spencer@gmail.com
  • Syamkamath
    Syamkamath
    10.12.11 06:52 PM
    @angela u seem to make point. The govt. Should consider running safe pubs instead of total ban.
    @maddy, mean no offence. BUT WHO TOLD JEANS IS 'CHEAP' IN KERALA. We all wear jeans. KERALA PEOPLE ARE 90%plus literate.
    I am born and brought up here , and its not cheap to wear jeans in kerala. Mallu guys wear lowwaste jeans.
    01.12.11 10:33 PM
    Hi Angela,

Let me thank you for your compliment. I feel terribly flattered. Flattery, I read somewhere is worse than bribery. Flattery I will accept but not bribery any way.

Does the "yes" mean your husband is with you? You look like a fun loving american lady in an Indian saree.

I know the times I went to pubs in the UK when I was studying in London. Living in Germany the pubs are known as the "Kneipe", but the atmosphere is so boring compared to pubs in the UK.

While the most pub goers are quite friendly in the UK, those in Germany can be really conservative especially the older.

People in the Pubs up in the North, in Scotland put me completely at ease being extraordinarily friendly.

To be very fair I did not like Bangalore one little bit for many reasons.

I am involved other things that keep me away from having my own blogs. I do have a "no nonsense" website purely for my Graphic design business for limited no. of customers.

• Angela Carson
    Angela Carson
    01.12.11 07:55 PM
    @Rajpriya - yes, my 16 year old daughter and our 2 cats visit the BANNED girly dancing bars in Bangalore together... we all drink free because they really like the mixed-species/under-age thing :-) ....and in response to your 1st comment, I think you should start your own blog or website, you have a ton of really eyebrow raising opinions. xo
    01.12.11 02:55 PM
    Hi Angela,

sorry asking for personal info. Info about you says that you have moved into Bangalore this year with your daughter and two spanish cats.

Hasn't your husband or the father of your daughter moved in with you to Bangalore?

Do you take your daughter with when you to Girly Dance Bars? If you don't who looks after your daughter while you go dancing?

Just curious.
    01.12.11 01:22 PM
    Is Bangalore, a city known for technological advancements?

My visit to this city end of last year ended with my decision, never to go there again. The hype about this city recently being ranked the 3rd “must visit” city in 2012 by Lonely Planet - may be a bit little too exaggerated.

Landing in the city’s airport around 8.00 pm and driving out to towards the city no doubt gave one the impression that the much spoken of “all the amazing technological advancement to this amazing Metropolis known as the 2nd Silicon Valley” could be very real. In the 30 minutes that took to us to the city by taxi, I thought I had made the right decision.

I landed in the realities of the lonely planet no sooner we entered the city. It’s congested roads and dirty environment related an entirely different story. No more was any technological advance to be seen.

In the next few days visiting the city in Auto rickshaws (I was advised against travelling in taxis into the city) was not an amazing experience. It was more like being locked up inside a gas chamber. How nice it could be if we had to breathe carbon di oxide to live at least in Bangalore.

The “girly dance bars” no doubt polluted a country ‘s culture and religious beliefs to something borrowed from the west. Many liberal south Asian countries opened the door for women from eastern European and Southeast Asian countries to work in this earth’s oldest profession.

Being a Christian or a Catholic you may not realize how much damage is being done to the Hindu way of living. This being the same difference between washing your back and wiping with toilet paper. Which is one is more Hygienic?

While India may like to interact face to face with people from other countries, does that mean we should gulp down western culture to leave our own? In Britain’s most radical politicians are against Islamic or Hindu culture being observed by those who migrate. They are talking of integration all the time.

Is the TOP international Talent lured by the number of “girly dance bars” to this city? What about the Islamic countries that have restrictions of almost any thing that’s western?

Calling it Bangalore’s new reputation is too a selfish a statement rather than help safeguarding a reputation that has been ours for generations.

“DJs and musicians, taxi drivers who won’t be taking people around anymore, waiters and event staff who’ll lose their jobs, etc etc”. International talents with good salaries could afford to pay those taxes. Some one has to pay for the expenditure towards on going infrastructure needs. If you have the money to spend in “girly dance bars” you certainly would find the money necessary to get home after grooving and boozing.
    Have you not read about the number of broken homes after the “girly dance bars” went into operation?
    Religious extremism came into place because of the western way of thinking that theirs was the best for the whole world.

You don’t know how bloody sad the East is, being forced to give up what we think is good for us.

When you in Rome, try being Roman.

“How the hell has this happened in a country that prides itself on its long history of dance and music culture? It’s unnatural.”

It has been always the same story. The white man thinks every thing is wrong in the east. You are no different.

India prides itself in its own traditional forms of dance, not the western forms that do not have any meaning except vulgar movements. How funny that our own traditions are negative to the world.

Think beyond the Tip of your Nose and learn to appreciate the good values of other religions and race. Moreover, Stop insulting India. I will be one who will not be clicking to “save Bangalore Night Life”

I never stoop down using swear words unless my patience extremely provoked.

25.11.11 11:35 PM
    Dear maddie

It's been two days and you are still upset and raw, let me start by saying my sincere appology to you. I normaly don't argue with people, but there are few things I am going to say to you.

The first thing I am going to say is India has many problems relating to many things. What most Indian's don't like is other people telling them, when they have problems of thier own.

Being Indian I am proud of, because our culture teaches us one great thing called consideration. This gives you respect and from this you become civil with others, and when you become civil that's when you are called civilised.

Regardless of how much money or wealth or other possession one has, this does not make you civilesed. This makes you rich but not civilised. So what makes you civilised ? It's our ability to understand and respect the others feelings no matter how important they are to you or not.

We don't have to like Angela, but that does not mean we can't be civil with her. It cost us nothing to be nice to any one. Like I said earlier we have to respect others feeling even if it's only dancing and partee. This is important to Angela may not be to you or me. I am not a big fan of dancing but that doesn't mean I can't be civil with people who likes it.

The laws in India are not always passed by religious zealots, or have talibanization point of view, but are still passed by what definition no body knows.

Regarding your concern about americanization of India. This has already started before you came to India. I am not a big fan of Mcdonal my self, since watching super size me. If Indian living in India has any sense they will know what to do.

India didn't make you any money or teach you yoga or found you nirvana but it made you an individual, who still has passion for this country, and that's greatest gift in it's own right.

My best wishes to you Maddie.

• Maddie
    Maddie
    25.11.11 08:57 PM
    and we are talking about not judging?
    Now thats Funny.
  • Angela Carson
    Angela Carson
    24.11.11 11:34 AM
    @Harry, thanks for that...you rock!

@Maddie: The article topic is simply the insane and idiotic dancing ban in Bangalore. I hate it, everyone I know wishes it was different. Period. I don't understand how you can have such insulting opinions on so many diverse topics here that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, about me and about Harry but you are way off base with respect to me and without knowing Harry but judging by his commenting style versus yours...I'd say you are way off base with him too.
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    24.11.11 02:08 AM
    Oh and yea and I didnt go to India to make money or learn yoga or find nirvana. you cannot even begin to compare the sexual freedom of gays in India to the US, yall are in the middle ages when it comes to those basic rights. While US is not a perfect country and has many flaws, please understand I am actually supporting India in fact, retain you indianess, what make you unique. Just becuase someone doesnt get to dance, big deal I had to wear no jeans in India, because it was considered "cheap" in Kerala, did I complain? yea a little bit but I also understood, what it must be like for an indian woman to come to a western country and wear a saree and be stared at, I also understood, what it was like to be dictated on something as fundamental as what to wear by a bunch of people who didn't matter. And until you walk in someone elses shoes, you never understand where they are coming from.
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    24.11.11 01:56 AM
    @ Harry with all due respect,before you jump to conclusions, Yes, I have lived in India in the early nineties for 5 years and not in Mumbai but in Kerala..yea..take that and I adapted.
    It was thier culture and I accepted, what I didn't accept was any kind of indecent behavior, this is before India exploded with the new economic liberlization et al. I have not been to India in 15 years.It seems to me that all Angela wants to do like most LA gals is partee and there is nothing wrong in that,just you are in the wrong part of the country. you cannot have it all, get a piece of the money spinning wheel and expect everybody to be and do as americans do. Is dancing a fundamental right? Nope, freedom of speech is and freedom of religion is. While I agree too much infractions from religious zealots can lead to a talibanization of a country and culture. Please dont come to India and Mcdonalize everything and if Harry you are Indian,shame on you for blindly aping the west.
    22.11.11 01:07 AM
    @Maddie I think you have gone out of focus on this article as Angela suggested in the original post. This is nothing to do with child prostitution or any other matter related to any other kind of child abuse. This is about dancing and it's all kind of dacncing as Angela suggested in post.

You are also confused about few people's view about child marriage. This is not a culture in India. Not every body gets married when they are kids, and also this is ILLIGAL in whole india like rest of the world.

The oppresion of women and lower class is not only exclusive to india. This is same as every where. This is same as you would not associate your self with people from trailer parks in USA.

It is also illegal in USA to be openly gay in army. This is also a kind of oppresion of sexual freedom. This is about legality not culture in USA. You are confusing the culture with legality.

If you say it's not same then you are talking crap. The only diffrence in india is you can see it visible.

I don't think you have lived in india and you are talking from stereotypical books, which are written by people who have got their facts from internet and they are not facts.

If you don't know something then ask people like Angela, who lives there, who will be happy to tell you rather then you making assumtpions.
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    21.11.11 09:26 PM
    I agree, everybody has a right to dance, considering thats all the bollywood babes do. But banglore is in south India and it would be like comparing Seattle to Alabama. Maybe I wasn't clear, I think the reason they are cracking down is they (as in the police) is inept in distinguishing between a child bar dance or just young teens who want to dance and have a good time. They also have this fear that by dancing (dirty )the culture will be destroyed. To which I always ask, what culture? the culture of child marriage, oppresion of women and lower class? The culture of having a good time? The whole dancing at weddings and parties is a northern india thing.In the south, its unheard of.
  • tys
    tys
    19.11.11 01:40 AM
    ah the mother syndrome strikes....its when the government decides what is good for its citizens and then enforces it with out even considering what the citizens actually wants...i think its wrong, so let me ensure that you don't do what i don't want you to do...

sometimes i think people forget what they give up ... today its dance, tomorrow it will be who you have sex with...wait a minute, that's already taken..

police is paid to protect and up keep the law...but how wonderful it is to prevent crime from even happening by just locking everyone up after 11...this is sheer brilliance...you should be applauding...lets now put a stop to rape by castrating all men once they reach 16..dont have kids..end of pedophilia...

iam in tears...this brilliance..its so beautiful i could weep....why on earth didnt we think of this before? end of wars, just super glue politicians mouth shut....brilliant!!
  • Angela Carson
    Angela Carson
    19.11.11 01:27 AM
    @Harry - we have the DVD Footloose here at home and that was the first thing my sister said when she read this too :-) Sooooo odd, it was poorly drafted legislation (not distinguishing 'commercial' girly dancing bars from a resto-pub) so let's hope it is fixed soon.

@Maddy - I'm not really sure what you are talking about with respect to THIS article but you are touching on topics that I did not write about and which I feel strongly about like child prostitution and child abuse. Please do re-read the article and be careful what you insinuate to/about me. All dancing is banned here except at a few 5-star hotels...that includes bollywood dance parties, bhangra, ballroom dancing, kathak, disco and bharat natyam included :-( It surprises me that you (or anyone) would support such a poorly written law and approve the ban but I am sure you have your reasons. All of my Indian friends and colleagues here really enjoy listening to talented musicians and live music or DJs and would once again enjoy feeling free to be able to sway to the beat of the music without worrying about the possibility of going to jail....
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    18.11.11 11:59 PM
    are you kidding me? Lets not forget these prostituion rings has 9-10 year underage kids dancing and getting sexually exploited. Yes, it has a culture of dance, but its classical dance, like kathak, bharat natyam, not grinding. Which begs the question if you are there to just dance and booze, and in general party,why not move back to LA?
    18.11.11 09:20 PM
    Hi Angela this must be a joke. This was a country where mujras was legal even in olden days. I don't understand how is this any diffrent from mujras, and I assume this is in all the bars.

Only one thing comes to mind FOOTLOOSE with Kevin bacon. I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I hope every thing works out or you can't go to the shak or any others. :( :( :(