Treatment Of Blacks - A Grey Area

Treatment Of Blacks - A Grey Area

October 29, 2011

While Indians may complain about racism from whites, what is their attitude towards those of a darker hue than themselves?

What’s with mallus and news?

There are few things happening around the world a prawn state citizen is not aware of. Except perhaps what ever happened to Sukumara Kurup.

Don’t know who that is? Ask any mallu. He is what legends are made of. He is a real life Harrison Ford Fugitive. He could be anywhere; be any one....he is the one who got away. Well, not the only one. This is Kerala we are talking about. We get away on a daily basis, with a lot more than we care to admit.

Anyhow.

The distinguishing feature of a mallu is not his pot belly or his mustache; it’s his ability to have an opinion on everything. Recession? Not to worry. Just hear Gopichettan's solution. While you are listening, please order another chaya (it’s not chai, recall what I told you about our fixation with not having any words hanging around aimlessly) and finish the paruppu vada.

Some time back I had stirred up the hornets’ nest by saying we Indians are racist. From the reactions I got, I guess I was right. Moreover, what amused me (yes, that's the wrong word, go on and sue me) was a reader, who claimed mixed parentage but was clearly black who, to put it mildly, didn't really like the way he was treated due to the color of his skin. It, very reasonably, made him a tad miffed.

So, though he liked curries, he couldn’t stand the smell of it. This is perfectly justifiable.

If I go to a club (which I have) and am turned away at the door (which I was) unless I pay a cover charge which cannot be claimed against drinks inside (which it wasn’t) while others of the lighter skinned race walk in with no such condition (which they did), I too would feel slightly miffed. I would vow never to return, and for good measure flood the hotel's toilets (it’s amazing what a toilet roll is capable of).

So I set out to learn about how blacks are treated in India.

And after 2 weeks of research, I have come up with nada.

I have no freaking idea.

I am sure we treat them as outsiders. I don’t think we do it intentionally but we do it nevertheless. But I think we do that to everybody. The truth is I have no black friends. Last time I was in Kerala, I stayed in an NGO run by a blind German lady for a week. They run a course in empowering people who have overcome adversities to set up successful social projects in their own communities. Most of the students were black. Truth is, them being black was a non issue. Those guys had survived situations that nightmares are made of and to top it all, they were heading back to the same places to face the same situations, to try and make it a little better. They didn’t have time to be bothered by their color. I was in awe of them.

I had been called there by my brother who had come to know that I was going through a dark phase of the soul. This is the annual event, which involves me wanting to kill myself - aka, the time when my head is stuck deep within my arse.

Going there, hearing their stories made my problems seem like chicken shit. My so called spiritual and philosophical decline a mere indulgence. These boys and girls were heroes. They were beautiful. They were also very clearly human. Very human.

I actually made a lot of friends in that short while. Me being me, also lost touch with all of them once I left.

But the point is this.

Not for a moment there did I see them as black or blue or yellow.

Now, I know what I am. I am your typical normal run of the mill kind of person. If I didn’t know, then I am sure you wouldn’t either. Because, my friends, if I can trust me, anybody can. I am the biggest jerk of em all.

I still don’t know how a black person feels in India. Is he/she discriminated against? Do we treat them badly? I never did ask. I was caught up, trying to get my head around stories of child soldiers made to kill and rape, of albinos being body harvested because they are considered lucky charms, of blind Tibetans who are considered as demonic curses and are social outcasts.

This is what I think. Any sort of discrimination comes from a sense of a complex. Its source originates from something as simple as the need to have a difference between ‘us and them’. Any enforcement of this by us will be at the cost of them.

There you go. Racism in a nut shell.

Want another chaya? Have a pazham pori while I give you my opinion on homosexuality.

• Ordos Incorporated
    Ordos Incorporated
    29.08.12 03:26 AM
    I'm not sure what to think about your comments about how a guy claims to be mixed race but is clearly black. What are you implying?
    03.12.11 05:09 PM
    @Tysonice,

Weren't you promoting child spanking? I am surprised you are so concerned about black people being discriminated against. You were spanked by everyone and you would spank your kids? On the one hand you seem to be great person for good human values on the hand you pollute your writing with so much garbage. You make my head spin.

Before finding fault with others doing wrong one must be doing things right. I see people applauding your writing as great. I am sure your are very pleased and you write for that kind appreciation to boost you ego.

A language has enough and more words to describe things avoiding those swear words.
  • Vinod
    Vinod
    19.11.11 07:13 AM
    @Rashbash
    You made several valid observations from daily life.It was quite interesting to read your article too. I wish to add as a rejoinder here that during my days of bachelorhood,I have come across many ladies who by their character appeared very beautiful with physical aspects never coming in between.
    I would say that Kerala is far ahead in social reforms in India.Keralites are orthodox like any others in India but to my knowledge if there is an intercaste or inter religious marriage,the chances of honor killings are quite very rare though family approval may take years. I feel that to be achievement rather than being very idealistic.Once again,I appreciate Rashbash's opinion in this discussion.
  • rashbash
    rashbash
    19.11.11 02:37 AM
    you should have seen the face of one of my friend when he knew that my girlfriend was very dark skinned he just could not wrap his head around the fact that i was in love with a girl who is very dark skinned. one day before he said no one wants to marry a really dark skinned girl. another friend told me that he will never be interested in chon or other lower cast women. and he pointed out a girl in the street who was baish or little more fair. and i told him how do you know if she is not from the lower cast and his answer was "I HAVE SIXTH SENSE About these things" i have not talked with him since
    In kerala and indian more that 4000 years of castisem shadism has created it like a lifestyle where even if someone comes through one he would not notice it.

i had another neighborhood who i used to call uncle when i was little and go watch TV in his house and every time he saw then president of India NARAYANAN who is from a lower caste in Kerala turn off his TV . i did not understand why but when i understood why even as a KID i stopped going to their house.

what African People went through in America is nothing compared what Indian's went through and are going through every freaking day.[Every Black skinned person in the world is not African please stop using that word like one race owns a color]

go to Jaipur and go to a village you will see many houses colored same from the outside stick around and you will learn different cast have different color so they can identify, lower caste people will not get even water to drink from then even from a public street taps.

I had a friend from a little upper caste "NAIR" and you may or may not know that cast is vast as the ocean he is very dark skinned and he disses every other dark skinned guy or a girl make me feel pitty on him.

if you want this to stop act when you see it. talk when you see it.

once actor sharthrughnan sigha told in a interveiw that when he was married he was very dark skinned and when his wife gave birth his wife has two questions where is my husband and is by son dark skinned-

Actor sathayn onces told his intimate friends outside his film circle is sadness that IF i was more fair skinned maybe i would have got more jobs as an hero in movies-

look at all the Malayalam movies none of the hero who have any kind of success have never been dark skinned it's a reality someone few create and others to follow END IT [but they love Denzel Washington, Halley Berry, Morphan Freeman, and OBAMA ] he should not be speaking of have any ancestry of an Indian

There is a thousand more stories that i had seen heard and understood. Glad that someone wants to talk about it. a few clowns wants to defend his/her amazing culture of castism shadism // and gender privileges...one millions abortions a day India. ok if you are in USA ask an North Indian girl how she feel about south Indian men fresh off the boat. that will give you a little perspective too or watch paul vargees latest comedy stand up where he says his experience ..
  • tys
    tys
    19.11.11 01:51 AM
    you know something? i think the day will come when we as parents will not have a say in who our children wants to marry...and the children will love beyond colors...and we, my friends, will accept that... prejudiced or not...
  • rashbash
    rashbash
    18.11.11 10:08 PM
    The word you are looking for is shadeism
    India hates everything,
    Read about en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savitri_Devi

• Vinod
    Vinod
    11.11.11 03:59 AM
    Thanks Singhji!
  • A Singh
    A Singh
    09.11.11 09:47 PM
    @Vinod - true that!

Apart from the two main groups - those that harbour racist attitudes and those that believe the colour of someone's skin is irrelevant - there is a third group. The ones that (imo) genuinely believe they are not colour prejudice, but the skin colour would on occasion influence an action or behaviour pattern.

The acid test for a man, is whether he is wholly comfortable in witnessing, and supporting, his sister or daughter marrying a dark skinned man. In the scenario where the girl plans to marry a black african, I know many people in the 2nd group above would fail this test.
  • A Singh
    A Singh
    09.11.11 09:36 PM
    Totally with you Maddie. I have gone further in previous comments on another similar post, where I made the point that blacks get it bad almost everywhere and not just from indians. I have personally observed the same attitude amongst chinese, south east asians and east europeans.

Did not know about Libya but visited Zanzibar and was fascinated and disturbed to learn that 100 years after abolition of slavery (mainly from west Africa), it was thriving on the east coast of Africa and controlled by arabs (brown people). Racism is not so 'black and white". As suggested by the title, it's a grey area.

I am part of a privileged group that gets a closer insight to what it might feel like to be black. You should try wearing a turban and sporting a beard after 9/11!
  • Vinod
    Vinod
    09.11.11 03:55 AM
    Great going pals!!I think,the best way to address this would be to do an introspection.Are we ready to marry off our daughters to a dark skinned person if all the other requirements are met?What was our concept of beauty when we were looking for a prospective life mate in the past?What was our opinion in the house(at least in our mind) when proposals came for our sisters. The honest answers to these questions would give the right answer.I do not expect anyone to thump their chest to proclaim for or against the topic of debate but just need to ask one's own self for a final answer.I do not believe in being critical of anybody's opinion here because here the real answer lies deep within each one's heart well concealed from the expressive fingers on the keyboard!!!!!
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    09.11.11 03:47 AM
    I agree @ A Singh but look at the deluge of fairness creams in India.
    Its the colonial mentality of hundreds of years of being invaded by lighter skinned people, perhaps? perhaps a little of that. In Africa too, they have been invaded by lihjter skinned people (read whites and Arabs) have you read about the black genocide in Libya where the ethnic/tribla blacks are being killed? Hence the desire to be lighter skinned and be more accepted.
    I was watching a show where a white man, dressed as a black man and he gave up his experiment after a week, becuase of how he was treated, everywhere he went he was looked at with suspicion.
    Dignity as a white man was a given and a right, as a black man you have to earn it and even then you dotn get it.
    Thats the need to be lighter and more socially accepted.
  • A Singh
    A Singh
    09.11.11 12:30 AM
    Interesting Maddie, but the whole thing is a little more complicated than that. Many blacks are conditioned to think being black is inferior. Dark people using skin lightening creams is a sad indictment on those groups. However, sales of these creams is big business in many african countries. In parts of the caribbean, light skinned blacks are more likely to obtain customer facing jobs over those with a darker skin. A lot of my black friends prefer women who are white or light mixed race, over dark skinned black girls.

Like I said, it's complicated. And like you, I never understood the big deal about race and caste. We might be in a minority though.
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    07.11.11 11:42 PM
    I think we have been conditioned to think blakc is inferior and bad. We look @ black males as criminals. Even in India people treat lighter skinned people like demi Gods.ooh please..open any friggin; mag and look at the deluge of fairness cream ads or look on shaadi.com for the demand for light skinned brides. @ Varun..you are the perfect example of how stereotyping someone works..read brainwashing.
    FYI Hapshi is the amarhic word for desi.
    just like we say desi.
  • Maddie
    Maddie
    07.11.11 11:38 PM
    I went to College in Trichur back in the nineties with a sudanese guy and I dont think he was treated bad, considering his color was just about the same as most keralites. Maybe they did think he was stupid, becuase he flunked, but he was good decent guy.I live in the US and one of my best friends is black and the hubs white, I never understood what the big deal about caste, race was, never will.
  • tys
    tys
    01.11.11 08:18 PM
    vidhya : i didnt understand. Do we treat the locals badly or do they treat us badly? I had a cousin who was in kenya but it has never occured to me to ask him abt this.i shud. Pls elaborate on wht u said.
  • Vidhya
    Vidhya
    01.11.11 05:42 PM
    We have no right to be condescending to anyone, yet somehow we manage to accomplish it without remorse. I grew up in Nigeria and I've seen how the Indians there treated the locals. They were certifiably racist.
  • Roy
    Roy
    31.10.11 10:59 PM
    Thanks Harry.
    31.10.11 09:53 PM
    Point taken ROY. I should have used myself as an example not all of us.
  • Roy
    Roy
    31.10.11 11:54 AM
    @ Harry thanks for the philosophy lecture. Totally agree with u from ur first comment. The objection I had was u using "we indians are definatly RACIST , SEXCIST HOMOPHOBIC PIGS." now in one sentence u stereotyped whole nation, I don't think anyone will like that. I m also saying yes we are racist But our racism is more about sarcastic jokes so either enjoy it or ignore it.
  • ROBERT
    ROBERT
    31.10.11 10:40 AM
    The problem is that most indians think locally and not globally. As a black person in India, i know how this is. To an average Indian all black people come from Nigeria, West Indies, or Kenya! India is a beautiful nation, I have seen it and experienced it, but the attitude that Indians have to black people leaves a dark mark on the nation. As a black person it will be assumed that you are stupid, slow and backward. Indians will at first try to intimidate you by asking you silly questions like which is better your native African nation or India, when they find out how resistant or tough or stubborn you are they will back off. They then assume the 2nd assumption that all black people can fight and are fraudsters, which is wrong. They must know that we are in a global village and must learn to accept the sun does not rise and set in India.
    31.10.11 12:24 AM
    Dear ROY
    As you are hell bent on giving me a mouthfull of advice, when I have tried to ignore an argument with you, I have desided to write back to you .

If you read my post properly, you will understand, what I am trying to say as brief as possible without using too many words. When I made those statements, what I said I meant it and I still stand by it, regardless of your opinion.

What I said is truth . For us to be men we have to accept the truth regrdless how bitter it is . It's like bitter pill, we all will have to swallow.

What you fail to realise is, I don't do sugar coated. I also said this traits is in all human race and it's part of our DNA, by ignoring this we are ignoring the truth.

When you are ill, it is always first hard step to accept that you are ill . second step is to see the doctor, who will confirm that you are ill, then third step is when the medication is prescibed to you, and the final step for you to get better is to take the medication on advice.

What I am trying to say here is that, if you don't accept the first step you will not going to be cured from these illness.

No man is perfect in this world . This is truth. If we were perfect then we would be like gods, and as we are not. We will always have those fault at least in small quantity, even when it it not enbeded in us, but it will be on surface at least, by denying this we are dening the truth and this applies to entire human race not just indians but all.

When I wrote those comments, I only agreed with what TYS said, because what TYS said is truth regarding all of us.

IF YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS GOD HELP YOU. HARRY
  • tys
    tys
    30.10.11 04:31 PM
    @vinod : u bet the fatwas are not just restricted to the middle east...i will probably get by butt kicked when i go down to india..but hey, i guess thats how the cards fall..when did we become ' my way or the highway' kinda people?.. iam always wary of people who get offended, from personal experience i have found that most of the times, getting offended is a cover for hiding the guilt...

u can only talk freely about something which is not part of you...passion , anger, etc means that u r a lil too close..

see? small doses of philosophy capsules..man, i need to charge people for this

@kriklops : i think we will get there...honestly i do..but for that to happen we need to confront it first..recognize it...accept it ...understand it...and then it will go from u...emotions, prejudices, and stuff like that changes when observed...like kids who know they are being watched at play...u cannot observe anger and still be angry..like that...

but the problem is the few die hard ones who will refuse to look at the problem and then hopes it will go away... it wont..they will just push it under the carpet and it will keep turning up...thats what is happening around the world..u cant pretend and go with a majority just becoz its the right thing to do...u will have understand and see that its the right thing to do...

damn..whats wrong with me today?! iam on a philosophy trip today, amnt i? Too much alcohol ..

@writersblock: u r so right...it takes a lot of courage to admit to it in todays world..if u see it , you can recognize it each time it rears its head...we are all racist...we are all prejuidiced...we are trained from child hood to be that way...our country, our religion, our color, our culture....as long as that identification is there, we will never be capable of being anything else...so the least we can do it to see us for what we are and then recognize the stupidity behind holding it like a gang color and move beyond that...why? because we can.

@Roy : iam a lil confused here...so u are agreeing or you are disagreeing...or are u saying we shud see it , accept and then ignore it? Becoz its a paradise compared to other countries? see where iam going with this?

iam sure u meant well..iam not trying to corner you..but see the flaw in that arguement when its put that way? you are not offering a solution, rather u r but it is to ignore it...ignoring is a conscious act....

but like u said, i understand that probably is the one of the things to do when faced with any kind of discrimination..question is are we also guilty of what we are faced with?

@Harry: u make feel like a fisher man with all this talk of can of worms :) ... but what if i say that as humans we are programmed to discriminate....its on our dna...its necessary for our survival..infact if one goes with religion, the very creation was for one to become many...so it was unity choosing division...the problem is when one divison believes that that is above the other...and we all do...walking in anothers shoe is impossible, yet we say things like ' i totally understand' or 'if i was in his shoes...' ..you cant...u cant even know what your most loved one feels...u can imagine but u cant really know...for sure...so division is part and parcel of you.

so now u tell me why shud we not stay true to our nature? Why cant we be racist and accept it and be proud of it? After all all iam saying is that this is my clan and i belong in it and you dont..u actually dont...so in some ways its the truth isnt it...how can u be held responsible for something which is not in your control?

wink.

there u go...another can.,..glad to oblige..

btw...i feel christ and krishna was as guilty or innocent as any one of us...we have it all within us...the capability to go anyway we choose..

@nri : loved the descending order of racisim in indian punjabi marraiges...how true...its funny how no one will want to admit to this...

enjoy the lynching..

@varun : i didnt know that...regarding the hapsis ...how are they treated? Theres always some truth behind stereotyping...but its the unfairness of it to the few who do not fit within that sterotype which makes stereotyping irritating...its shows a limitation in a persons perception of things...

i really need to find an exorcist. This guru spirit has to go. Iam beginning to annoy myself
  • Roy
    Roy
    30.10.11 12:47 AM
    Dear Harry, if u r proud of calling urself a pig. I don't mind. Sometime we do act like hypocrites but pls don't forget some of us r confused between following our age old tradition or the new so called uncle sam's culture and one thing is sure they r great at marketing. I can understand u but u r not trying to understand 60% plus indian who r living in villages.
    U call me a hypocrate but I think i m undecided between my Indian fella from my rural roots and my urban friends from metros and UAE where I live. I know I m proving u right but I believe in my indian fellas. Still I say we indians r racist but region wise not colour wise and that too becoz our racism is harmless and it's only on the surface. We keep it for humor, it gets serious only when we try to mix relation in terms of marriage. I m a Bihari and I have friends from Kerala, maharastra, Delhi, Manipur etc. And I never had any problem in terms of racism apart from some light jokes. Pls stop making a fuss out of this and grow up. India is not so easy that anyone who lived here for about a year and understand it.
    Pls don't try to judge this country by it's cover.
  • varun
    varun
    30.10.11 12:41 AM
    There have been 3/4 generations of Blacks people in Gujarat and coastal areas and are notably known as "Hapshi" due to their lineage.

In Mumbai too, most of the black people you meet are either students, drug dealers or Nigerian fraudsters. Its ironic, but the stereotypes are somewhat true.
    30.10.11 12:12 AM
    You know what ROY, I wont argue with you but what I said, I stand by it . I am not a hypocrite.
  • Roy
    Roy
    30.10.11 12:00 AM
    Dear Harry plz keep this sentence for urself "I have come to accept that we indians are definatly RACIST , SEXCIST HOMOFOBIC PIGS." bcoz only an NRI like u can be proud of declaring himself as above. Dear NRI I dont say u r completely wrong but pls before commenting something on such a big platform pls don't forget u r talking about an 6000 year old civilization. Yes we do have our setbacks but we don't need to learn it from a country whose civilization is not even 600 year old.
    I m not saying that we dont have any wrong practice but we will change it as per our evolution chain.
    I m confident that one day again india will lead the world with it's riches(becoz todays world can only understand the language of money) and the way of life(which the world already accepted in terms of yoga and joint family).
    The treatment of white or black in india or hindu or Muslim in india became a subject with colonial era. Before that it was no issue at all and I promise to all that this very issue won't be an issue at all.
    29.10.11 11:02 PM
    Dear TYS

You do like stirring hornets nest don't you, so do I . This is the one thing in common, I definatly have with you among the other things as well. I think we should invite CLAN to the party as well to liven things up.

After our last discussion I have come to accept that we indians are definatly RACIST , SEXCIST HOMOFOBIC PIGS. If we don't accept this as truth, than we are not normal human beings, because for us to be normal, we have to have all of these faults at least in small quantity.

We all have these traits at least on surface, even when it's not enbeded in us. If we didn't have these, then we would be like CHRIST & KRISHNA . So TYS you are right at least for now .

What I like about you TYS is, your kandid opinions in most thing you write. So keep writting and also it's time to open another can of worms.

29.10.11 08:55 PM
    Dear TYS
  • A Singh
    A Singh
    29.10.11 07:54 PM
    I am an NRI and proud of my Indian heritage, however, I will say something that may be unpopular here. Many Indians (particularly older generation) are racist against black people.

The point just made by Roy is a separate issue. The undoubted discrimination against other Indians of a darker skin tone (not wanting a son or daughter to marry a darker Indian, etc) is different to attitudes towards black or African people. I think a lot of Indians buy into very inaccurate and offensive stereotypes about black people. Maybe whites hold similar views but are more private or subtle about them because of a colonial guilt that Indians do not suffer from.

Can I say, before I get a virtual lynching, that NRIs and PIOs could be more racist than resident Indians. I was born in Britain so can only talk about the community here and do not want to tar all Indians with the same brush. When British Indian parents consider the possibility that their daughter (seems to be worse than for a son) might marry outside of the community, they will have a reducing tolerance according to which community the potential groom comes from. From my experience, taking an example of a punjabi Sikh girl, here is how it would run.

1. Punjabi Sikh Groom of same caste.
    2. Punjabi Sikh any caste (perhaps not scheduled caste though)
    3. Hindu punjabi
    4. Hindu other
    5. White professional or wealthy (doctor, lawyer, etc)
    6. White / any other race.
    7. Black
    8. Muslim
    9. Black muslim!
  • Roy
    Roy
    29.10.11 07:28 PM
    Hi good article but I would like to veto your opinion about racism in india. I am from Bihar and frankly speaking I too faced racism (the typical Bhaiya comment, if u don't know then ask any north Indian) but in india it's not much about skin colour rather more about region. In delhi or Mumbai there are many people from north east region, who r of very fair complexion but still they face racism. I m not saying it's ok but atleast we don't generalise india. With all it's drawback india is a paradise to live in. Our differences are harmless and mostly just on the surface.
    Once again, The article is good I liked ur details.
  • Writerzblock
    Writerzblock
    29.10.11 02:13 PM
    Its a complex situation... not only a black person but even a white person will feel out-of-place in India. Just as much as a Delhi-ite would feel strange in Chennai, and any South Indian is at the risk of being called 'Idli-Sambur' in Delhi!! Yes, Indians are extremely racist people, there's no denying it. I guess we are all guilt of it at some time. The important thing is to keep our bias at bay in our interaction with people, and try to be as professional and objective as possible.
  • Kirklops
    Kirklops
    29.10.11 08:21 AM
    Tysonice, I have been having a craving for vadas for the last 2 weeks and you bring up parippu vadas in this discussion. Not fair; not fair :(

Back to the original question in this post, I honestly have no clue. I guess it is just ignorance that leads to the need to have a "difference between us and them". It's only fairly recently that India has become a destination of choice for foreigners to work and/or study. So given a while, I believe the staring, the stereotypical questions (like what Robert faced in Jhansi) and general discrimination will die down. Over generations, we have been reasonably good at assimilating cultures. Are we still that way? I would like to believe so, but only time will tell.
  • Vinod
    Vinod
    29.10.11 06:19 AM
    Rightly stated,I too have an opinion about what I read.I wish you are not in India because fatwa is no more restricted in the middle east or to any specific religion.I back you for every word of it and had a 'barrage' of abuses from self proclaimed patriots for stating the same in an opinion column of Times of India.I am also from Kerala and earning my bread elsewhere but it is no way a reason to absolve myself from all that we see,hear and live 'Indian'!!!