Spank That Kid

Spank That Kid

November 30, 2011

Does sparing the rod, spoil the child?

As Indians we spank our kids. Its a cultural thing. In fact when I was growing up to my full 5 feet 4 inch splendor , I was brought up by the idiom that it takes a whole village to bring up a child.

I was spanked by everyone.

Once when I got down from the school bus and ran across the road without checking for the oncoming lorry, which had to swerve and brake to avoid a tiny road kill, I was propelled forward by the spanking I got from every one who happened to stand by. I didn’t stop running until I reached home to rest my beaten up arse.

We were spanked. We throw a fuss for eating. Spank. We now eat whatever is served in front of us. No questions asked. We fail our exams. Big time spanking. We learn that everything has a consequence and we learn that by the seat of our bottom or by the palms of our hands.

Do you know that 90+ % of the worlds population has been spanked at least once in their childhood? Of course some of us continued to be spanked and some of us even pay for it. Thats a different matter altogether. But 90% got their bottoms tanned when they did something wrong.

I am all for spanking. There was a time I wasn’t but that was when I did not have children.

It’s easy to spout theories and philosophies about things that are not in the scope of our life. That’s why I have a problem with the morons who draw moral judgements on people in whose shoes they cannot even begin to walk.

A timely spank is a great motivator. I am yet to see a child who can be made to understand reason. Hell, most adults can’t, let alone a two foot ankle biter who is now lying on the floor of the supermarket toy section doing the spin on his back imitating a dog in distress.

A perfect case study for spanking. Trying to reason with something that resembles a little human making a perfect ass out of himself is like convincing Paris Hilton the virtues of panties. Pick the fellow up, two spanks on the seat of his pants and move quickly to the exit and into the car with the stunned kid before he has the time to say; WTF?!

Fluid movements. No emotions. Speed. Parenting at its best.

I heard that in some countries the above would probably have my kids taken away from me, me placed behind bars where I will serve out a sentence being someone's bitch.

Apparently spanking will lead to aggressive behaviour in children where they learn that the solution to anything requires violence.

Am I missing something here? The last I heard thats exactly how things really are.

I am not into hitting kids. Spanking is a statement. There are no emotions in spanking. It is discipline being enforced. A spank on the bottom is not violent. It gets the message through. And the child knows that it means he or she has crossed the line. So I guess its a symbolic thing. Like eating Jesus's body and drinking his blood.

Hitting a kid is mean. If I was that kid, I would grow up and then hit you back. Hitting a child is as good as bullying. It means that as parents we suck. Call me judgmental but thats how I see it.

So the line is not a thin line. Its a god fucking interstate highway dividing the two.

I have done both. So I know.

Once when my Object in Perpetual Motion was about 4 years old, I pushed him out of my way because he was making a mess in the living room with his toys. He fell. Not hard. Just plonked down on his butt. I saw this look of confusion in his eyes before he started crying. As if he was trying to comprehend my action. Like I betrayed him. I was too much of a coward to make peace then. Instead I brooded. Tried to justify it with myself. Forgive myself. Ignore it. Not a big deal.

When I returned to the living room, he was asleep on the sofa. I picked him up and took him to the bedroom. After tucking him in, I sat by his side for a long time, because his hands were clutched around my index finger.

Kids. They can do funny things to your heart.

I still spank him though. Not often. But I do.

Thing is being a parent is not something that you need a degree on. You go with your instinct because there is never a right or a wrong way. Eventually they grow up the way they want to. They will take some, reject some. They will absorb some, ignore some. They will make choices in spite of or despite you. They will be influenced. They will also learn in their own way.

Much like we all did. But its your watch and you do count. So make it count.

Love them. But for heaven sake spank them when they behave like morons and are disrespectful or harmful to others.

But please remember, no kids have ever died of starvation by not wanting to eat a meal.

But it still gets your goat, doesn’t it?

Photo credit: kidding.com.au

• Jiya
    Jiya
    18.10.12 09:14 AM
    Well if all other forms of punishment do not work like "time out" or trying to scare them, spanking is the last resort no doubt. But parents need to do it the proper way, so just a tap on the bum will do..and yes I agree BEATING OR HITTING is NO NO! Because that will cause and severe ties with your child..it's a gurantee on that. Happened to my cousin and now she won't talk with her parents at all.
  • Jules
    Jules
    23.09.12 10:49 AM
    I think if all other (and I do mean ALL other) forms of discipline or behavior modification have failed, and you really must make a point, a spank if tolerable. Children learn quickly from this and it shouldn't need to continue to happen past a time or two. I have done it, it proved my point and my son learned a lesson. I hated doing it though, and felt an incredible amount of guilt/grief. That's something I had to heal from. I don't think I did damage to him, I think it made him a better more responsive person. Now when I say something he knows I mean it. I do not endorse ever abusing a child, or hitting them (as defined by your article, the difference between a spank and a hit). With any luck, I'll never have to resort to that means again. But it happens. I was one of the 90%, my parent's spanked me a time or two. I deserved it. I was being a stupid ass.
  • vaibhav
    vaibhav
    10.12.11 12:16 PM
    nicely written. It hit me with the urge to read just by the title.
    06.12.11 02:31 AM
    Thankyou for the advice PALLAVI but I think he needs his arse tanning as TYS says. I have started going to gym and I will give him hand wrestling and the looser will have to do the tasks. I think this is not a bad solution. I will do my best.
  • Writerzblock
    Writerzblock
    06.12.11 02:11 AM
    @ Harry:

May I just butt in to say, your 'kid' is 14-years old, what else did you expect?

I was utterly timid as a child, but even I rebelled in my own silent ways at that age. I hated being told off, hated being advised/lectured/ etc. even (and especially) when I knew it made perfect sense.

I'm guessing the best way to handle him would be to be very firm and set rules in the house, while at the same time, not going too much into detail or wanting to know everything he is up to.
    06.12.11 12:29 AM
    Lighten up woman I have never hit my wife and when I have spanked my kid, they deserved it.
  • Aaina
    Aaina
    06.12.11 12:28 AM
    @ Harry, did you discipline your 14 year old as a child? For eg, did you make him eat his meals, fiish his homewrok, clena up his toys or just let it fly, becuase he was a child?
    you cannot hit a 14 year old, he is a teenager. What you could do, is perhaps, take away his video games if he is into that, till he clean up his mess. No allowance, No outing with freinds. Make him respect you.
    @ Tys this is why spankgin children doesn;t work. I studied in America as a teen, thousands of miles away from home, yet I never made a decision without callin my mom, Could she spank me? Heck she wouldn;t even know what I was doing. I did it becuase I loved and respected her more than anything ir anyone the world could offer.
  • Aaina
    Aaina
    06.12.11 12:22 AM
    Really you think spanking a child is ok? I suppose so i slapping your wife, it the food is not hot enough? ot made on time? After she is behaving like a Moron. Dont' get me wrong, the thing with spanking is sometimes people dont know when to stop and who's to say when it becoms phyically abusive? Wome grew up seeing thier mothers being hit and thought it was ok or acceptable. There are numerous studeis that show hitting a child demoralizes and lowers self esteem.
    I have a chld and hitting or spaknking this child would be like a Lion terrorizing a mouse. What when the mouse becomes a lion?
    My son is extremely well behaved and respects me, I discipline him.
    I tell him, its not ok to run amock in the malls or roads, I dont hit him to make him stop,I tell him if he does, a truck or car will hit and he will be in the hopsital and I will be very sad.
    If he runs away from me a bad man can take him away. Am I creating fear? No, thats the fact, everyday in America, hundreds of children go missing.
    Hitting is child abuse. you have to earn your child respect not beat him into submission for it! What are we in the dark ages?
  • tys
    tys
    06.12.11 12:18 AM
    HA!HA!

Harry you atrocious man...

i recall a movie where the father hands the son the cane and asks the child to beat him, when the kid had done something wrong...forgot the name..

but iam afraid it might not work in your case.

in mallu we have a saying for that : vadi koduthu adi medikunu

which means giving the stick to get beaten..

nope.

now you will also have to worry about your wife poisoning you..

damn, man..you are not in a very enviable position :)

We can always get the quotation team to bash him up.
    06.12.11 12:04 AM
    I don't think philosophy is working with him.
    06.12.11 12:02 AM
    Hey TYS

I like the theory but does it work?.
    I have told him that I will start beating his mother instead when he goes out of line. He said you try and I will see. Do I take this as threat.

• tys
    tys
    05.12.11 11:40 PM
    @harry : u asking me for advice!!!

this is not in the realms of my experience, so I can only offer you theories and that useless thing we call advise( or is it advice?)

my take is that spanking should stop once the kid turns 7 ; max. Because by that time their personality has already been set, theres nothing much you can do to change it unless it comes from within the child...they are at that age where you owe them an explanation for your decisions or your controls...its another dimension in parenthood...an exciting adventure of self discovery..

A teenage male will challenge their father..it is to be expected...but you do have some controls...they are provided for, so making them know who is the boss is pretty easy...but personally i have felt it is a cheap thing to do..

but there are times when it is better to introduce an undisciplined teenager to a new situation where they are expected to come down a few pegs and throw off some of that steam in a healthy way....iam talking about something like a defence academy...

your son sounds a lot like me...so it feels strange stabbing him in the back but the best thing that my parents did was put me in a boarding school, where my natural violence was directed towards more controlled form of violence, like boxing, sports and teachers, who did not hesitate to beat me to conform.

for people like me, its good to know that in the real world, that when you push, you will get pushed back...

sometimes that lesson is better taught by a person who is a stranger, who might have a more objective perspective...

hell, he will realize how great you were as a father, when he gets his arse kicked by others.

its a good lesson..even if it doesnt work.
    05.12.11 08:47 PM
    Hi TYS

It's all good about spanking the kid but I have a situation now that I don't know what to do with.

I have a 14 years old, my youngest who is same height, built with lots of energy and also stronger then me and he looks at me and tells me, he's gone drop me if I didn't shut up when I tell him off.

One time I asked him to tidy his room and I stood up to look him in the eyes, to intimidate him, and he said to me what are you going to do old man. He got up and push me back on sofa. He laughs at me and tells me I will take you on any time dude. This is not a laughing matter to me even when I laugh about it.

The question is how do I tan his arse ?
    TYS if you got solution to this I will kiss you feet. :) :) :) :) :)

Or you think it's time I got my arse tanned again by my kids now.

05.12.11 03:39 AM
    @tys

I am in a spin. You have convinced me, spanking is easier than being born again.

But see how much fun urinating can be. "Men Only"

• tys
    tys
    05.12.11 03:21 AM
    @joseph : oh, but i did try humor. You decide. 6 year old object in perpectual motion. Does something which i felt was selfish. So i told him this:

A plane crashed which carried a congregation of religious candidates who were all going to a UN organized religious conference in geneva. All died.

At the pearly gates, they are met by st.peter. He asks the first group which religion they follow. They say hindus. Peter tells them to go to room 18 but to be quite when they pass room 10. They do so.

Second group of muslims are told to go to room 28 but to silent when they pass room 10.

Like wise all are told to go different rooms but all are told to be quite whn they pass room 10.

Last the catholics come. Now these guys are curious. So the leader of the group says:

look peter, i totally get the idea of having seperate rooms for people of different faith in heaven but why do we have to be quite when we pass room 10?

Peter answers : well, room 10 is occcupied by the born agains and they think they are the only ones here.

He didnt get it. You know what his response was? How is something born, born again? Do they have to die first? Then why are the born?

Spank is just so much easier.
    05.12.11 02:49 AM
    @Joseph James

Want to tell you a story about how an Irishman became a good friend of mine at a pub in London. I was just new to the area in South East London, (to be exact in Elephant & Castle area) happened to walk into a pub one evening. There was this huge guy John seated at the counter, whom I took to be an English. He greeted me with "Hey you Arabs why don't you send us more petrol?"

He thought I was from a middle eastern country because of my features. I slowly walked up to him and inquired, from where he was. He said he was from Londonderry. I laughed and said "Well if we sent more petrol to Northern Ireland they would make more petrol bombs and kill each other. It was in the early seventies when IRA was planting bombs all over in Northern Ireland and London.

He laughed back and had been a great friend in whose company I drank Guinness Stout his favourite. I laughed a lot for a couple of years in his company before I left London. Since stuff like email and mobile phones were not used for communication at the time soon lost touch.

I think I should join tys for a drink some time and hope he won't hold a grudge.
  • Joseph James
    Joseph James
    05.12.11 02:06 AM
    @Tys and Rajpriya
    Gosh!It's good that you guys finally acted like the gentlemen you are and made up. The way you were going at each other hammer and tongs, I thought the verbal duel would take a nastier turn. And then we might have had to call Tys' mother back with her cane and get the kick boxer to lose his restraint. Probably, the grown ups need that spanking more than the kids. The kids will grow up the way they will with or without spanking.
    Tys, I think you should rather use your humour and charm on your son than crack the whip. If it could bring about such a transformation in Rajpriya, your son can't be impervious to it.
    On a more serious note, your USP is your sense of humour. The readability quotient of your posts is so high because they are laced with just the right amount of self deprecating humour. Your intro says you are a misanthrope. I don't think any of your readers will agree. In one of your earlier posts (I don't remember which) you alluded to an annual angst that you suffer from. That shows how human and sensitive you are.
    You write with your tongue firmly in cheek and with a happy turn of phrase. It's mostly old wine in new bottles. But when the bottle is so well crafted, who really cares for the wine?
    March on, fellow mallu, with malice towards one and all?
    05.12.11 01:37 AM
    @Harry

I have made amends with tys on this matter and I don't need further smacking. I need to end confrontational course and get back to normalcy and therefore won't be provoked into any further discussion on this subject of spanking. You can continue to do what is best for your child and just ignore me. I need to move as much as you.
    05.12.11 01:00 AM
    TYS
    If you think your solution at the time of delivery is correct, you should not have to appologise for your action even to god let alone the law or anyone else.

Some children are easier then others, I have three and I only had to spank two. I am not going to say which one.

Childrens are like little trees, they grow in all direction. It's our duty to push them in correct position so they grow straight and tall as a good gardner knows without damaging it.

Today I went to see my mother and I asked her same question, and found that she only had to spank two of her kids out of five, and I was one of them. Her explanation was, I was " handfull " ( Little bastard, she did not say this in braket I assumed ). She is on her last leg and I don't resent her on what she did, but I am straight because of her action.

@ Rajpriya most civilised individual with good conscious knows the difference between abuse and discipline and does not need to read the books on child abuse. Like TYS says in the article difference between two is not just fine line but size of interstate.

Therefore people with good code of conduct don't need lesson on perenting, the line between the advise and insult is vary small and in this case it's personal insult on what you are doing to TYS, he does not need it from you. He is not going to tell you, but I will. I do not want to argue with you, because we will be going around in cicle, and I hope you understand my stance.

• rajpriya
    rajpriya
    05.12.11 12:07 AM
    @tys
    small correction. Does not mean that he kicks people who agree with him.

• rajpriya
    rajpriya
    05.12.11 12:04 AM
    @tys,

great you took my comments in the lighter vein and thanks. By the I have two sons, one grand daughter and one grandson. My younger son is the Kick boxer but he never kickboxes people who don't agree with.

My grand daughter is one of the loveliest kids I've ever known, born with a smile, she fascinates me all the time. I wish I could smile like her.

Don't you worry I am not what my words can make me out to be.
    I have friends all over in many countries and I am never a foreigner anywhere. "Thum ne mujko prem sikhaya" This is the only phrase I use when I visit Delhi and it works like it's a kind of majic.
  • tys
    tys
    04.12.11 11:25 PM
    @rajpriya: its a sensitive topic and it also involves children..its perfectly understandable to react to that..

actually i got what you were concerned about..i have asked myself that question many times...if i am doing some irreversible damage to my child when i punish him thus( i am a bit gender biased here.. i never spank my daughter..shes actually the bigger villain of the two)...so hopefully we will know both the result in the next 20 years or so...but i am kind of optimistic about the turn out...they are great kids..but they have mine and my wife's genes man...trust me, a look isn't going to cut any ice with them.

btw, the reason i asked about your children was to know if iam talking to dad who is walking the talking...obviously you are... kick boxer, eh? you dont have my address or my real name do you? Thank god.

please do stick around....you have raised a great debate...lets see how it pans out..
  • rajpriya
    rajpriya
    04.12.11 10:51 PM
    @tys,
    I do apologize sincerely for getting carried away with opinions a few times. I have children and grandchildren. I have a way of communicating with them that cools them down with out a spank. I have now learnt that's its not everyones' cup of tea.

I love them so much that I really have never thought I could do that. Sorry your situation can be different. My love to your children.

• tys
    tys
    04.12.11 10:20 PM
  • tys
    tys
    04.12.11 10:10 PM
    @rajpriya : i have been going through the link you provided in regards to ending corporal punishment...there's quite a lot there...but its very interesting...i am still a little unsure on the acceptable punishment and the reasonable punishment which has been completely repealed...alternate method of disciplining, which might include time out, withdrawal of privilages etc are sometimes effective....

iam also not of the opinion that a parent spanking a child can be put in the category of child abuse...

but i do understand the need for a law protecting the child ... there are too many of us who can abuse it...have seen too many examples of that also...

i know the question u are asking...which in some ways iam trying to ask myself...

where is the line dividing the two?

is a little stealing justifiable in the eyes of a bigger stealing?...isn't both stealing?...not being a moralistic type, i know that stealing a piece of bread for feeding ones family is different from stealing something to sustain oneself to embezzling ...its all in degrees...so to paint everyone with one brush stroke is a very narrow point of view..

i am still reading the link...i do believe in what it is trying to achieve...for the sake of my children and my grandchildren i hope it succeeds....even if i might be termed as part of the problem than its solution...
    04.12.11 08:27 AM
    @ Fire Crystals

You should be extremely happy your very own spring is so energetic to jump around, symptoms of a very healthy child. There may be many who would like to see theirs even move. Could a spank help them up on their feet?

If you were living in Myanmar you would know that even you would be spanked if your lips moved. Spanking is being dictatorial.

May be using some sleeping tablets would help you sleep peacefully and your very own can enjoy some freedom.
  • Fire Crystals
    Fire Crystals
    04.12.11 03:30 AM
    Totally agree with you on this one. Especially with my very own Spring jumping around the house every moment he is awake. A spank does things so elegantly and saves me from having to dry out my throat from screaming at him.
    03.12.11 03:24 PM
    Otherwise why would you want to know if I had kids.
    They never a burden to me. I had never had a problem with living a great life.
    If need to see, drop in at my home in Germany. I live in a small village 40 mins. away from the Düsseldorf Airport of course at your own cost.

More information on Child Protection Laws in Europe.
  • tys
    tys
    03.12.11 03:08 PM
    @rajpriya: why wud i want to raise ur kids? Thats ur burden. Anyhow. have a great life...
    03.12.11 02:18 PM
    Yes, I do. Do you have any plans adopting them for spanking? One is a kickboxer.
  • tys
    tys
    03.12.11 11:33 AM
    the shepherds need to tend
    the sheep is more to the benefit of the shepherd than for the sheep.
    The sheep existed long before the shepherd and were never lost, untill
    the shepherd decided so.

I dont question the existence of a god, but i see the irrelevence of
    that question .

Lets cut to the chase. Do u have kids, rajpriya?
    03.12.11 07:45 AM
    @tys.

Going through some of your comments I see that you question the existence of God. Then you say studies have proved child spanking makes children better. Starting with your theory of the non-existence of God, I must say you seem to provide evidence to everything that you believe is right.

While you have the liberty to believe in thinking whatever truth is to you let me continue to have liberty to stick to my beliefs. There are differences between the relative truth, absolute truth and probable truth. Then we have something called common sense to form an idea of what can be true.

Man made God and so is everything in our everyday life. Man made a system for justice so that people don’t practice lynch laws. Those laws made by man prohibited a child being prosecuted for any crime. By believing in God, man was able to control his anger that might lead him to wrong. Religions are philosophies to lead you to live a moral and disciplined life.

I would have admired your mother if she advised you against stealing and gave the money instead. But if you stole money to entertain all your classmates, you have been a very generous kid who did not know if your papa earned enough money to do this on an ongoing basis.

At that tender age when you got spanked, I have little reason to believe that you knew any thing about living within ones’ means. Probably your mother spanked you because you were throwing lavishly the money your papa had to toil for.

You know in your daily life how many thieves get away unpunished. There is no history they were caught and spanked by their mummy's and daddy's. Do you think that they went thieving because they were never spanked when they were kids. There should be no double standards for a thieving kid and a thieving adult.

If any one needs education on how to bring up a child without spanking here is one source to try:

Responsible and decent parents should all worry about an educated way of upbringing a child. I can find you enough evidence of this if you can’t find them yourself.

Last part of your comments you seem not to know which way to go. Sheep need shepherds so that they don’t lose their way home.
  • tys
    tys
    02.12.11 09:59 PM
    @rajpriya: do u know that there's absolutely no evidence that this no spanking has led to better human beings? In fact the study showed that children who were spanked turned out better adjusted and more successful than the ones not spanked...

perhaps u r rite...perhaps children who were spanked were growing among the ones who were spanked since only 10% were never spanked...so maybe if the whole world stopped spanking perhaps the non spanked ones will be among their own kind which will make transition into society more easier...

rajpriya, i understand ur worry...spanking is too easy a method to enforce discipline and to use fear and intimidation to have ur way....and this mostly tends to be misused...i feel there are times when a spanking is the best method to ensure the severity of the problem....especially in things like behaviour traits that can cause harm or danger to the child and others.. i feel the child is in a better frame to understand the error after the spanking because they know they have done something really wrong...

i also feel the spanking should be the last resort...and i also feel that spanking shud not be done when the parent is angry...

the first time i was beaten by my mother was for borrowing 25 piece from above the cupboard when i was 5 . I used it to buy lemon drop candies ( narangya mutai) which i shared with all my classmates..the ayah who used to walk us to school and back told this to amma...when i got back she asked me come to the bedroom and asked me where i got the money from. I told her. She asked me if I have done it before and I said yes. She asked me to show my palms and she caned me three times..i was screaming...

later on i found her sitting in the bedroom crying. I sat next to her. She hugged me and told me why she hit me. She told me never to steal. I never did.

Maybe there was a better way...but iam none the worse for it..

and i hope its the same with my kids..

as parents, everything is a gamble..

perhaps u r right...but so are the others who are not turning a simple lesson tool into abuse.

it need not be the extremes.

the middle path is always the most balanced.
    02.12.11 04:35 PM
    Spanking a Kid? The one who wants to spank kids is living in the Stone Age. Spanking a defenseless child is like hitting a dead lion. Those who think a child needs spanking for good upbringing need to be educated. If one has been educated and still refuses to see things in a different perspective is continuing to be illiterate.

How does the spanker know he or she is doing everything right? Being primitive is easier than learning Child Psychology. Go ahead violate the fundamental rights and laws of a human that you yourself created in your weak moments of sexual pleasure and hate it, if that pleases you.

Your child carries on to the next generation a stupid way of upbringing because there exist people with habits that die-hard. Are we not living in a civilized world? I can’t believe that people support spanking.
  • tys
    tys
    02.12.11 12:57 AM
    @rick: my man. Considering that 90 percent of the world population had been spanked when required, it gives credence to the world around us. 90 percent good balanced people being led by 10 percent non spanked unhinged population, who believes that the world owes them something for their existence.
  • rickj
    rickj
    01.12.11 11:59 PM
    Ahhhhhh, music to my abusive(so say some)ears. After single parenting my two hulky handsome sons with a full menu of parenting tactics in hand(including spanking)I am a father who is proud of the adult children I now have. They love their daddy today, as they loved me when they were young. I cannot detect one single emotional scar left to haunt them from being spanked when it was absolutely appropriate to do so. Well said, and thank you for saying it.
    30.11.11 09:25 PM
    30.11.11 09:07 PM
    TYS I loved the article. I liked the stats And I hope you don't pay for it now :) :) . I think this is only available in western culture due to missing out on spanking in their childhood.

I am all with you on this one. There is nothing wrong with bit of old fashion beating. I had my arse tanned when I was young and as PALLAVI says what's point in arguing when good spank fixes the problem there and then.

I also understand when you said about crossing the line, and the guilt is worst I have ever had in my life. Since that day the line is never crossed. I think this has made me better father.

This one is just for you dude and my thousand respect.

PS I like truth and honesty in your writeup TYS.

• Writerzblock
    Writerzblock
    30.11.11 03:55 PM
    That was simply brilliant (hilarious too)!!! Spanking is definitely different from hitting, and like you said, no point wasting time arguing a point with a toddler, when a quick little spank can do the job efficiently. However, having said that, you will not want to do this outside India, for risk of being jailed ;-)
  • Roy
    Roy
    30.11.11 01:32 PM
    Superb article, good writing and a nice way of justifying spanking kids. I totally agree with, I got my share of spanking from my father and teachers and I'll pass it on to my kids when they need it or when I think they need it.