An appetizer and a yogurt delicacy
Steamed Spinach Dumpling
- 2 cups of Spinach leaves
- 2 cups of Chickpea flour/Besan
- 1 cup Yogurt/curd
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. Red chillies powder
- 1/2 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste (optional)
- Salt as desired
- Water as required
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tsp grated coconut
- 1 green chilly
- 2 tsp. of oil
- A pinch of asafoetida/Hing
- a few curry leaves
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
Wash and shred the spinach leaves thoroughly. Shred the leaves finely.
Take a large vessel and add the chickpea flour and all the dry
ingredients into it. Add the shredded spinach & the yogurt into the
dry ingredients and mix well. Make a solid dough, add extra teaspoon
of water if you are not able to bind all ingredients into a dough.
Make 5-6 small rolls using the same dough. There are 3 ways to steam these rolls:
- Heat water in a large vessel and add these rolls in it. When the rolls start floating on the water, they are done.
- Pour one cup of water in a pressure cooker and keep a small but broad bowl in it. Grease a plate which can fit into the pressure cooker. Keep all the spinach rolls on the plate and lower it into the pressure cooker. Cook for about 6-7 minutes on high pressure.
- Steam the rolls in microwave mode.
Take out the steamed rolls and let them cool. Cut the spinach rolls into half inch slices and keep them separately.
Heat oil in a wok and add crackle the mustard seeds. Add the sesame and curry leaves fry for a minute. Add asafoetida and spit green chilly.
Arrange the steamed spinach slices in serving dish and pour the hot seasoning over it. Garnish with freshly grated coconut.