Cottage Cheese in Exotic Curry
- 200 gm Cottage cheese or Paneer
- 50 gms fresh sweet corn kernels
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Salt as desired
- Water 1 cup or more
Ground to paste
- 1 large onion
- 2 large tomato/1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp. grated coconut
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 1 small green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cardamon pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Shredded fresh coriander leaves
- 4-5 strands of saffron (optional)
- 2 tbsp. cream (optional)
Peel and chop onion. Slice tomato and onion and grind it along with rest of the ingredients (ground to paste). Slice the cottage cheese into small pieces.
Heat oil in a kadai/wok and crackle cumin seeds add cardamom pods & clove followed by the ground paste. Add all the spices mentioned. Saute’ well till for about 7-8 minutes till the raw smell of the ground paste disappear and the oil starts floating over the masala.
You can fry the cottage cheese cubes into the oil before making the gravy or just use them as it is.
Boil 1 cup of water or more if you require more gravy. Pour the boiled water into the cooked gravy and simmer well for another 5 minutes.
Serve the exotic Cottage cheese in nutty gravy – Paneer Jalfrezi with Indian flat breads
- I used tomato paste in the recipe, since I had an open packet of the same in my refrigerator.
- You can avoid coconut and cashew altogether and still get a rich gravy for the recipe.
- Slightly deep fry the Cottage cheese cubes for much better texture ad taste.
- Add fresh green peas instead of sweet corn for much better color contrast in the dish.
- Use Tofu in place of cottage cheese for much healthier option.