A quick, crunchy , delicious snack that brings back memories of my childhood. Sneak in a few while you are cooking. You can never make enough!
Urad dal - 1 cup
Fresh / frozen coconut grated - 2-3 tbsp A mix of grated and sliced is ideal.
Ginger - 1 tsp grated
Curry leaves- 5
Green Chillies - 1
Oil for frying
Salt- to taste
1. Soak the urad dal for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Chop the coconut slices or khobra katli ( if using ) into tiny slivers, they will add a delightful crunch.
2. Grind the dal into a coarse paste. Try not to add too much water.. An option while grinding is to add the coconut, and curry leaves. They add a good flavour to the batter.
3. Add everything except the oil and mix well.
4. Heat enough oil for frying in a wok or kadhai and when really hot, drop small spoonfuls of the batter.
5. Fry on a medium flame so that the vadas or rather ambade get cooked right to the centre. Drain with a slotted spoon, when fried.
6. Put on an absorbent kitchen towel to get rid of the excess oil.
7. Serve with green chutney or ketchup.